Chapter 69 - End

*** sorry this took me so long to complete , I struggled with how to end this story in a way that seemed like a good fit. I hope you found this story entertaining (:

It was so much fun writing this, in all honestly my story changed so much as I wrote chapter by chapter. I changed so many things but over all I'm happy with it.

When I originally thought of this story I had planned to have James kill Elizabeth accidentally but then it would have turned into something entirely different.

I also contemplated killing Elizabeth when Zach fired the shot, but I wanted her to have a happier ending.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed it thanks for reading this far 💕***

"Well... nice of you to pay a visit here," said Marie the receptionist behind her oval glasses, she slowly raised her eyes and stared back at Victor nonchalantly.

Victor rested his arm on her desk, "'morning to you too Marie,"

"He's busy." She spat sharply as she returned to typing away at her computer.

"No he isn't." Scoffed Victor as he watched her delicate thin fingers type away at the keyboard, like a perfectly orchestrated dance they gluided along the black buttons.

"I'm here to give him something..." Victors tone grew serious as he reached into his pocked and pulled out an evidence bag.

I no longer need it... he thought to himself.

The case was closed, Elizabeth had answered as many of his burning questions as possible. She was able to point out where Alberts body lay.

After they exhumed him, his family gave him a proper burial.

It still bothered Victor that Elizabeth couldn't explain why James killed him, she blocked that part of her memory completely and refused to return to it.

"Will you give this to him? Tell him...." Victors pause caused Marie to look back up at him, then her eyes caught the evidence bag.

"Never mind." He sighed, and pushed back some of this hair from his forehead before giving the receptionist a small smile, "Take care Marie ,"

With that, he tapped on her desk and left. She watched him exit the building without looking back before grabbing the small bag and examining it. Inside the plastic was a small silver cross on a leather band.

When she gave it to her boss later that day, she watched as his eyes glimmered removing the cross from the plastic. His fingers smoothed over its surface; this fine piece of jewelry once comfortably laid against the chest of his son.

His only son.

A priest, a murderer, now dead and cremated.

He put the silver cross back in the plastic bag and tossed it into his trash bin.

Marie held her breath at his harsh actions, "Sir...?"

"-thank you Marie," he cut her off before she could say anything on the matter, "Please...call my driver for me will you? I'm leaving early today."

Marie nodded and excused herself from his office. Once her employer had gotten in his car, she went back up to his office room and pulled the cross from his trash bin.

She did not know the full story of what had happened, to be honest not many people did either. There were many rumors left and right, but what she did know was that somehow she couldn't shake away the pity for the Beckford family.