Chapter 63 - South

Tyler rubbed his neck in a thinking manner.
"Shit..."

Anne cupped her face in her hands. She had told him everything, about Zach and Elizabeth. How she went missing and Zach was vulnerable, how she took advantage of that, and ultimately wound up pregnant.

"I'm an awful person..." she sobbed into her hands, he had somehow managed to make her stay and confess her whole story.

As they sat in the courtyard of the dorm buildings, Tyler was caught up with everything and finally understood their odd relationship.

The corner of his mouth lifted into a small grin, "you're not awful."

Anne just shook him off though.

"A lot of people do the same shit, they see an opening and they take it." He shrugged, "it's a now or never kind of scenario."

For a second, Anne parts her fingers to peek through at Tyler, noticing his gentle smile.

"You either go for it or fall back and if it blows up in your face then," He shrugged again, "hey at least it's better than wondering 'what if' for the rest of your life right?" His smile widened a little more prompting her to smile back at him.

Her heart was beating fast before but now it remained a whole lot calmer as she looked at him.

"Thanks..." she cleared her throat and lowered her guard.

"For what blondie?"

She rolled her eyes at him playfully, " I don't know, listening to me I guess."

"Sure," he leaned towards her, moving in closer to peer into her face. The sudden closeness caused Annes cheek to flush a pink hue, when he noticed it he couldn't help but smile wider exposing his teeth and letting out a small chuckle.

Tyler stood up from the bench and stretched. "So boy or girl?"

Anne needed a second to snap out of how close Tyler's handsome and charming smile was near her face. She stood up as well and looked at him, his arms stretched over his head, his shirt lifted a bit, exposing his skin.

"Umm.. I don't know yet. I kinda... didn't want to know. I went this morning to make sure everything's... cooking alright,"

Tyler laughed at her phrasing , "ha .. I'm sure the buns cooking ok in the oven,"

He walked her back towards the parking lot, "how far away is your drive?"

"About 2 hours, less with traffic though," she said pushing back some of the hair from her forehead. The wind was picking up and she felt chilly.

Tyler opened his mouth to say something, he wanted to spend more time with Anne. But instead of asking her, he asked "May I?" Stretching his arms a bit insinuating a hug.

Anne walked into his chest and hugged him back, the warmth of his body and the smell of his scent was so soothing.

"Tyler, thanks..." she hummed into him.

"Yeah, let me know when you get home safe." The words left his mouth so easily, without thinking it.

Anne pulled away and giggled, "is that your smooth way of asking for my number?"

Although slightly embarrassed Tyler's air of confidence wouldn't reveal it, "hardly anything smooth about that," even still he pulled out his phone, "I'll give you a ring if I hear anything from Zach."

Somehow, Anne felt a bit disappointed in his excuse but she brushed it aside and exchanged numbers with him.

"I'm headed back home for the weekend but in case he calls me or something I'll keep you updated."