Chapter 10 - Making the Team

Zach waited by the school courtyard for Elizabeth, he nervously adjusted his tie watching bus after bus pass dropping off the floods of students. He had come to decide that he owed her a bigger apology than the one he provided to her the night before, after their small moment in Albert's car Elizabeth was dropped off first.

"See you at school tomorrow?" Zach eagerly questioned, holding her hand tightly before she could open the door. She turned to him, flashing him a small smile and nodded, exiting the car without muttering a word to him.

The anxiety of her silence made him itch all over.

He noticed her walking from around the corner and raced over to catch up with her. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach as he approached Elizabeth, he couldn't stop himself and glomped into her for a hug.

"Lizzy..." he held her close to his chest, surprised by the early morning embrace Elizabeth gasped but quickly succumbed to his warmth and wrapped her arms around him.

"I am so sorry..." Zach continued to whisper to her, not letting the embrace break. At this words Elizabeth clenched onto the back of his black blazer. His apology was short but the way he spoke it expressed so much feeling in 4 tiny words. She nuzzled her nose against his strong chest, taking in his sweet scent. Today he smelled of the morning dew and maple syrup.

"Forgive me?" Zach ran his hand down her long hair, his heart was racing while he waited for a response. Elizabeth pulled back from his hug and looked up at his crystal clear eyes. Around his eyes he had formed dark circles from his sleepless weekend.

She nodded at him with a hopeful grin.

He held her close to him again, rocking her back and forth a little before taking her hand and walking behind the school grounds.

"Zach, where we going...?"  her feet tried to keep up with his long stride.

" I wanted to wait till after school but I can't" he led her to a large oak tree that stood out from the rest, it's leaves were a bright blood red. Elizabeth looked up at the large leaves, they tumbled slowly to the floor.

"Wait for what?" she tilted her head to the side at him wondering what it could be. Zach's palm found her cheek stroking his thumb along her soft skin causing her to slightly blush.

"Liz, you have no idea how scared I was that I'd lose you." He started, Elizabeth noticed his knee would buckle from his nervousness.

"It got me thinking; you're important to me." Zach gulped before continuing, his hand then rested on her shoulder. " I know we haven't known each other long but..." he closed the gap in between their bodies, Elizabeth held her breath for a moment. "Would you consider going out with me?" He raised his eyebrows hoping for her answer but she merely frowned confused.

"We do go out..?"

"Oh no I mean..." Zach cleared his throat, she probably doesn't know what I mean. "I mean, as in- would you consider being my girlfriend?" He muttered, biting his lip to keep his anxiety at bay.

Her eyes widened when she understood his question. "Oh..." but much to his dismay, her face changed to an apologetic expression. Zach quickly got on and understood what her softened eyes tried to relate. After a long pause she opened her mouth to speak.

"We can't," she said quietly before dropping her gaze. He already expected that after seeing her reaction.

"Can I ask why?" he pocketed his hands, a wave of awkward sadness crept over his body. Suddenly he felt colder than he had before.

"Well... you're a senior and I'm only a freshman." she explained still not looking at him but rather back at the red leafed oak tree. "...and you'll be leaving soon, and I'll be staying behind."