Chapter 12 - Broccoli

Autumn

I woke up this morning with a huge smile on my face.

Ok I'll admit it now. I do like Ryder. I really do. I didn't realize it that much until he hugged me back. Why would I only realize it then you may ask? Well my answer for you is that the way he held me in his arms made me feel special, like I was the only girl in the world. I realized that the bad boy was a softie after all.

Even though I've only known him for a short period of time, I can't help but like him more and more every second of the day, especially after the hug.

Yeah ok I get it, it was only a hug. But I've never felt the way I did in his arms. His arms were like a shield to block me off from all the hideous monsters inhabiting the earth. The way he snaked his arms around my waist made me shiver in the best way possible. I've never really felt like I've had a home before but now that I experienced hugging Ryder, I feel like I do. His embrace made me feel safe, just like a home would.

But you don't always stay in the same home for your whole life, right? What if after this project is over, he left and I was back to being homeless? What if he completely ignores me after the projects finished?

All these possiblities made me scared and paranoid, so I decided that even though I like him, that I shouldn't get too attached because in the end, I might be left with nothing.

As I ate the lunch my mom prepared for me before she left the house, I received a text message. My eyes immediately flickered over to my phone and I grabbed it. The smile on my face expanded as I read who the text was from: Ryder.

Ryder [2:00pm] — r u avaliable to go to the homeless shelter for the project?

Every girl says not to respond right away because that makes you sound needy and clingy, but I couldn't help it as my fingers already started typing before I noticed.

Me [2:01pm] — yeah I'm avaliable

After five minutes of waiting anxiously, he replied.

Ryder [2:06pm] — cool. ill be over in ten

Should I add a heart emoji? No no that's a little weird for right now.

Me [2:08pm] — ok see u soon!

I hit send but slapped my forehead when I noticed the exclamation mark.

Exclamation, really?!?! Now he's gonna think your too giddy.

In a hurry, I put on a long sleeve top and jeans, did all the necessities like brush my teeth and wash my face, pulled my hair up into a bun, and waited outside for him to arrive.

After about five minutes of waiting, I saw him hop into his Porsche. He backed out of his drive way and pulled up to my house.

Rolling down his window, Ryders right eyebrow lifted in amusement. "You couldn't of walked over to my house? I live across the street lazy ass."

Laughing at his correct statement,— it is true I am lazy —I got into the passenger seat and we drove down the vast road.

***

Ryder plugged his nose as he put broccoli onto the food tray. "Yuck, people actually eat this garbage?"

We are currently at the homeless shelter, putting food that each person requested onto a tray and setting it down where they eat.

"Yes," I chuckled at his disgusted face as I shoveled pasta onto my tray. "Broccoli is good for you."

He made fake gagging sounds, "ew, as if!"