Chapter 30 - Christmas

Autumn

A reflection of me mirrored my alive body and looked at me with a happy expression.

I remember a couple months ago I hated looking at myself because of the scars and my brokenness.

But now, I can't take my eyes off of myself. There is too much life in me that it would be rude not to stare.

Closing my eyes, I pictured last night. Just the memory alone made me want to run to the hills cheering "hallelujah". Instead of doing that, I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling too wide.

Ryder and I are dating.

It didn't even sound real in my own head.

"Whatcha smiling about?" Ryder asked from behind me.

Looking at him in the mirror, he was leaning on the door frame, arms crossed watching me with a smirk.

"A lot."

"About...?"

You.

"Um...everything I guess."

He lifted his eyebrow. "Like what?"

"I don't know it's just that this is all new for me."

"You mean dating someone that isn't a rapist?"

I shuddered at the word 'rapist'.

"Sorry, sorry. That was rude of me," he apologized politely.

"It's...it's okay."

Ryder walked up to me and wrapped his muscular arms around my waist. Once his hands touched my waist, I blushed. His chin rested on top of my head. He hugged me like he was protecting me against the cruel world.

"I will never hurt you, Autumn. In fact, I'll do exact opposite of hurt. I'll heal and protect you at all cost. You have my word."

I shifted in his arms to face him and wrapped my arms around him tightly, inhaling his scent of masculine cologne. "Thank you, Ryder."

He kissed the top of my head. "You don't need to thank me for trying to protect you."

"If you say so."

Ryder unwrapped his arms around me. "Did you check what's on your bed?"

I eyed him questionably. "What?"

He motioned with his head, "go check."

Suspiciously, I walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom.

On my bed sat a small box wrapped in gold wrapping paper. Next to the box was a bouquet of dark red roses.

Smiling, I picked up the tiny box and unwrapped it. The whole time I unwrapped it, Ryder had this look on his face like he was really excited to watch me open the present.

Once I unwrapped the paper, my eyes widened. The box was black and velvet. It was the type of box you can pop open...like a wedding ring box.

No there's no way in heck it's a ring.

But still, I was nervous.

"Well are you gonna open it or...?" Ryder asked once he noticed me staring at the black box for too long.

"Um..."

"Ohh, I see. You think there's a wedding ring inside, don't you?" he questioned me, knowing exactly what I was thinking.

"Well no because we're only in twelfth grade but I don't know, maybe. I wasn't sure-''

He laughed and sat down on my bed. "You though I was going to propose? I just asked you to date me last night!"

"I know, I just overthink everything."

He looked down at his hands and mumbled "maybe someday."

For a second I froze in place. "Maybe someday."

Before you start overthinking those two words, I'm going to stop you. Maybe is not for sure just open the box already!

Once my fingers popped the top up, I gasped in awe.

In the velvet box laid a gold necklace. The gold was so eye-catching, it glowed like the sun. In the middle of the necklace were mini golden jewels in the shape of a leaf.

My eyes teared up. I couldn't take my eyes off of the jewelry. It was so beautiful.

"The reason I got the necklace with the leaf is because your name is Autumn, and leaves fall during that season. Also I met you in Autumn. A bonus reason is it's my favorite season too so now it will remind you of my favorite season."

I laughed. "You got this so I can remember your favorite season?"

"And the other reasons!" he added.

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Ryder. I love it."

He smiled brightly, "I'm so glad you do."

Lowering my head in shame, I sulkily sat down next to him.

"What's wrong? I thought you loved it?"

"That's the problem, I do! And I didn't get you anything for Christmas. The fact that you bought me something as extravagant as this makes me feel so guilty. I promise when we get back home I will buy you so many presents-''

"Hey hey hey," he wrapped his hand around mine, "I don't want any presents. The present I got for Christmas is you becoming my girlfriend. Please don't feel guilty, angel."

I sighed. "Ok. I don't know how to thank you for this though."

Slowly Ryder took the necklace out of my hand. "You can thank me by wearing it."

"Of course I will."

Turning my back to him, I let him move my long hair to one side. My heart beat quickened when his fingertips grazed the side of my neck as he moved my hair. The necklace was cold on my neck but I didn't mind.

Unexpectedly from behind, Ryder wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Merry Christmas, my angel." he whispered, his breath heating my neck.

I closed my eyes at the feel of his hands on my waist. "Merry Christmas, Ryder. Thank you again for the necklace and roses."

He hugged me tighter and kissed my neck slowly.

"You're welcome."

For the rest of the day all we did was snuggle, watch T.V, and talk about almost everything...together.

Best Christmas I've ever had.