Finally, the darkness gave way to very dim lighting. Although dim the lighting seemed almost bright in the deep darkness we were in.

It lit up a circular room dank and wet. The room had a series of old desks and bookshelves even cots surrounding the perimeter.

The light came from a small opening at the top. It was a round hole that looked to be a window of some sort.

"What is this place?" I asked

"I have no idea. Ari told me about it. He found it somehow." Koren answered

"Looks like an old refugee station," Ren stated

I could see a makeshift kitchen in the back area, various stacks of wool blankets, and other items.

"A refugee station? What is that?" Grisha asked

"Usually during times of war, those in smaller villages can come to the capital, but if there is an attack on the capital the only place people can go is the palace. So they set up areas for them to go. This one looks old though." Ren answered

I noticed an open room, inside just a large desk and a few chairs scattered about. The desk held a few old papers now laden with mildew. I opened the drawer and noticed what look to be a log book.

I flipped through it reading a few of the entries.

"What?" I wondered aloud

"Listen to this," I called once I exited the room.

Winter XXXX

We had a large number come through here today. Mostly women and children. It gets so damn cold down here it was hard keeping them warm. The blankets are nice, but they can only do so much. I saw a glimpse of our great prince today. He was peeking around the corner. He is a handsome fellow, a lot like his father. It is a shame he knows not the plight of his people. Try to make them as comfortable as possible, but nothing can shake the cold chill in their hearts. They were sacrifices for the good of their kingdom. Too bad a lot of them are too young to understand that."

"What the hell does that mean?" Questioned Elo.

"I have no idea, it is odd," I mumbled

"We have no time to investigate, we need to get to the surface, and quickly," Koren yelled from the other side of the large space. I decided to take the log book with me.

"Why did you grab it?" Ren questioned eyeing me curiously.

"It seemed important, so I took it. No telling if I will ever make it down here again." I answered

Ren shrugged and grabbed my arm hauling me forward at a faster pace.

I clumsily followed almost tripping on my dress.

"The dress!" I exclaimed as I tripped for the umpteenth time.

"This is not the time to worry about clothing." Fussed Ren

"No I mean it is getting in the way. At this rate, I will break something before we get out of here!" I fussed

Koren huffed before quickly yanking the dress. He found a seam and pulled harshly effectively ripping it.

"Hey!" I yelled

"Allayna we do not have the time. I apologize for the dress, but your overall safety is far more important to me." Koren hissed

I went silent as I watched him rip the bottom half of the dress off.

Grisha stood to the side her face contorted in horror at the deed.

"Rest in pieces I guess," I mumbled as Koren finished and threw the scraps to the ground.

"No more delays!" He yelled before leading us further into the tunnels.

"Koren how much longer!" Elo asked irritation clear in his voice.

"Just hold your horses, Elo! We are almost to the stairs!" Koren called from far in front.

"Stairs?" I questioned, but I was answered a few seconds later as I tripped on the steps.

I tumbled to the ground before groaning in pain.

"Watch your step!" Koren called from even further ahead

"Now he tells us," I grumbled as I dusted myself off.

I ascended the stairs and surprisingly it got darker and darker.

I rested my hands against the damp wall in an effort to guide myself. As I finally reached the top the wall gave way. I assumed it was the way I was supposed to go so I followed it further down the tunnels.

"Hey Koren this is kinda dark, I can't see in front of me," I called

What met me was utter silence.

"K-Koren?" I called, again no answer.

"Elo! Ren! Grisha!" I cried

"W-where did everyone go?" I asked

I stood still listening carefully to the striking silence.

"Am I lost?"