SIX | the tattoos

Start from the beginning

"You're not taking her away!" My dad said firmly.

"I'm afraid you have no choice," the black-haired man said coldly. "We gave you the chance to agree to our terms peacefully, but you refused."

"Why are you so keen on our child?" My mom said, her voice shaking. "Why not the others?"

"We believe Audrey here has the mind and capability to achieve great things," the man said, looking directly at me.

I shrunk into my mom's figure, too young and afraid to understand what he meant.

"She, along with the other kids, will be the key to finding a cure once and for all."

"This is bullshit!" My dad yelled. "You're not taking our daughter away! We won't let you!"

The black-haired man ignored him and turned to me. He had a pleasant smile on his face, though his eyes remained steely. "Audrey, won't you come with us?"

He held out a hand to me, ignoring my mom's protests, his gaze fixed on mine and mine only. I glanced at my dad, who was trembling with rage in a corner of the room, then up at my mom, who looked terrified. I knew they were desperate to get rid of the intruders, but the guns in the guards' hands stifled their protests, though I knew they wouldn't be able to keep in their temper for long.

I took the man's hand.

"Audrey, what the hell are you doing?" My mom shrieked as the man pulled me to his side with a triumphant smile. 

My dad leaped forward and tackled him - and that was when I heard the gunshot.

I squeezed my eyes shut instinctively, a ringing in my ears. I heard the heavy thump of a body hitting the floor and the horrifying sound of my mom screaming, her voice loud and livid as she sobbed and wept. I didn't open my eyes. I was too scared of what I would see.

I felt a rough hand on my shoulder, felt someone turn me around and walk me to the door.

"We warned you," came the man's voice.

My mom sobbed louder. And I was steered out of the house and into the outside.

"What should we call you, eh?" The black-haired man asked as we walked, the two guards flanking either side of us. "What about... Rosalind, huh? After the scientist who contributed to the research of DNA molecules?"

"My name is Audrey," I said quietly.

The man smiled coolly. "Not anymore," he said. "Your name is Rosalind from now on. Alright? Come along. Your new life is about to begin."

-

My eyes flew open and I woke up with a gasp. I glanced around me into the darkness, blinking, disoriented. 

For a moment, I panicked - where the hell was I? 

Then I looked down and found my friends asleep on the ground in the little cove, their chests rising and falling slowly. Minho was snoring loudly, his mouth wide open as he laid on his back.

"Rose?" A voice whispered. I turned around - Newt was staring at me with tired eyes, his eyebrows furrowed in concern as he regarded me. "What's wrong?"

I looked away and rubbed my face. Memories of my nightmare started to flood in and I felt an overwhelming urge to cry.

"Nothing," I muttered. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

Newt sat up and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. "Rose, I know you're lying. You're not alright. What happened? Bad dream?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to keep the tears away. I didn't want to appear weak. "It's more of a... a memory," I said quietly. "I dreamt about when WICKED took me away from my parents."