Kitaya's eyebrows shot up. "That sounds grand, but I don't think there an enchantment for that yet."

"That's why I made one." Ade rounded the workbench and pulled the rug away, revealing the runes drawn on the floor underneath. They were etched in charcoal and arranged in a star-shaped pattern. "I believe with the right combination of enchanted metals and spells, I could do this."

"Do I need to leave the room for this?" She held her hands up when he made a face. "The last time you had one of these brilliant ideas, I had to walk around with no eyebrows for a week."

Ade rolled his eyes. "It's just an enchantment, Kitaya. And am I not a good friend to you? Do I not support you in all your reckless endeavours?" He gave her a mock pout. "You always talk about being great and leaving your mark on the world. Well... this is my way of doing that."

A heavy feeling settled in her stomach. Jealousy? Ade seemed to sure about what he wanted to accomplish and how he wanted to be remembered. And here she was, still floundering around, like a fish out of water. While everyone else got their lives together and left her behind.

"Alright," Kitaya finally said. "Amaze me, oh great one."

Ade laid the sword amongst the runes like he was putting an ornery child to bed. Then he took ether stones from beneath the workbench sprinkled them around it.

She watched him bustle around, making sure everything was in place. Checking and double checking every little detail. "How long have you been working on this?"

"It's been two years I think." Ade rolled his sleeves up, flexing his fingers. As he began chanting, the runes came alive with soft blue light, and magic swirled around them, making a noise akin to rushing wind. One by one they migrated from the floor to the blade of the metal before disappearing.

"How's Kemah doing?" Ade asked over the whirring of the magic.

"Nylarah told me he woke up this morning. But Eriani won't let me anywhere near him." She'd had to rely on updates from Nylarah and the medics since both Mellidius and Eriani refused to even speak to her. "She said the first thing he did was ask if I was okay."

Ade fed the runes more ether stones, watching over them like a Lyberra watching over its cubs. "That's good. Means he's not angry."

Kitaya shrugged. She wished he was angry. The fact that he was still worrying after her even while in such a sorry state only made the weight of guilt on her shoulders even heavier. "I guess he'll be on his feet again soon."

"And you'll be back to training. Day in and day out." The last of the runes sunk into the blade and the light faded. The sword was smoking, and Ade grabbed a cloth before plucking it from the ground. A spider's web of cracks raced across the blade from tip to hilt, before it shattered, pieces falling to the ground with metallic clinks.

Ade cursed out loud, kicking at the shards of metal. "I'm never going to get this right."

"Didn't they teach you enchantments at the Academy?" Kitaya crouched and poked at it, immediately regretting it when the residual magic nipped at her finger.

"Yes, but nothing like this. Just the bare minimum." He chucked what was left of the sword behind the workbench. "Do you think Eriani would be will to help me out? The enchantments she do are unreal."

"Well firstly, she's always busy. And secondly, you probably wouldn't be able to put up with her for more than a few minutes. Gods know I can't." She stood and stretched before crossing to a window to watch the rain. It pounded at the lush greenery covering the savanna, filling to watering holes and rivers that dotted the landscape. Kitaya cut her eyes to the west river, squinting when a strange shape caught her eye.