Prologue

here's a taste. i have a lot of this book written if you want to read it. Vote and comment

Thanks

Lynne

@@@@@@@@@@

(Genoveva's Point of View)

I was born a healthy fertile female Cat-Shifter. I was one of the last females born fertile. My parents were leaders of a very loud but peaceful rebel group that was pushing the Cat-Shifter people for an uprising against Queen Isabel of the Cat-Shifter. The rebels felt the queen no longer had our race's best interest in mind and wanted to have her overthrown and dethroned.

Queen Isabel and her guards attacked my parents pride in the middle of the night. They killed every man and woman over the age of sixteen. I'd been spared since I had just turned thirteen years old a few days prior. Once all the adults were dead, Queen Isabel ordered all remaining children to be marked by slashing their face down to the bone in the pattern of an 'x' so all could see they were children of traitors to the crown.

When it was my turn to have my face maimed I started to kick and bite everything that came near me. I even tried to shift into my cougar but couldn't because the queen forced me to stay human. Queen Isabel herself was going to slash my face since I was the child of the leaders. Her guards grabbed me by both of my arms and pulled me towards her. When I got close enough she grabbed me by my hair and slammed her fist into my nose to stop me from struggling.

I felt her claws dig into the soft skin of my face and I screamed out my pain. I knew my scars would be much worse than the other children's since I felt all five of her claws rip my flesh apart. I wondered if there would be any part of my face that wasn't scared.

Then to my eternal horror somehow Queen Isabel realized I was fertile. I watched her face twist into an ugly mask of fury. I'd always thought her anger towards me had something to do with her loss of fertility and that her child purportedly was born sterile. But whatever the reason, Queen Isabel drove her hand through the tender flesh of my abdomen and stole my womb.

To make matters worse, I was then kept as Queen Isabel's pet. She dragged me around from pride to pride showcasing my disgusting and disfigured face and stomach. She wanted to show other possible rebels the price of mutiny. During that time, I swore to never forgive the queen or any royal for my pain or the pain of my pride. I swore that I would never again swear allegiance to any royal and that I would do my best to kill the Queen, her royal brat and any who swore allegiance to her.

I was with the queen the night the rebels attacked her. Thankfully the rebels killed the queen, her child and her entire guard or so we thought. That's when Donato found me. Donato cared for me and helped me to heal. Overtime, Donato and I just started referring to each other as mates. Like most Cat-Shifter neither Donato nor I ever found our Kindred Spirit. We just we got along well together and eventually became exclusive. We've never done anything official and we've never bonded our blood or spirits.

I can almost recall the conversation like it was yesterday that Donato and I had about blood bonding. In the end I convinced him that we should not to blood bond. I convinced him that I was just positive that someday his Kindred Spirit would find him. Besides the real reason to blood bond would have been to conceive children, however since Donato was sterile and I had my womb stolen having children wasn't an issue.

Recently however, it has become increasingly clear to Donato that our decision not to blood bond was the right decision. It seems the real princess survived the rebels attack all those years ago. She managed to grow up alone in the wild with nothing but a wild cougar to help her. Now she's awoken her royal blood and has taken the crown.