Chapter 8

(Genoveva's Point of View)

I'd spent a lot of time in my cougar form back when I lived with Enoch's Pride. It was such a wonderful place to live. Still, even with all that time I spent in my cougar form, I was always me... never Cora. It was my eyes, my thoughts, my actions. Now everything has changed.

I feel like a prisoner in someone else's body. Nothing about this feels like me or my cougar. I can hear but, nothing sounds the same. Voices are muted and sounds are at the wrong pitch. I can see... well, that is if seeing is looking out through someone else's eyes is... but again there is no color and angle is just, well wrong. I can think and have opinions about what is going on but, I am unable to influence it in any way.

Cora is in complete control and I am nothing but an on looker. The first few days I would scream endlessly for her to listen to me and give me back control. She seemed completely unbothered by my attempts. Instead, she just continued to vigilantly remain at the side of my mate. Day after day, night after night.

Sometimes it's like watching a never ending movie. Because of Cora's lack of social conduct, and the fact that she's a feral cougar, I sit on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. Tonight was no exception. Though it's not always easy to hear and understand all the words, or even read the body language of all the players, I do my best, and... I think I am pretty good at interpreting what's going on.

There are four players so far in this movie. The first of course is Cora. She's a feral cougar stuck in the middle of a change between my human form, and her cougar form. Cora means well, and wants desperately to connect with her mate but in her current physical form and with her limited social capabilities Cora just seems to cause more harm than good.

The next is of course my mate. Joaquim while incredibly handsome and oh so good smelling and is near brain dead. While he can open his eyes and appear conscious, even from my position from deep inside Cora I can see that the lights are on, but no one is home. Joaquim is sadly nothing more than a vegetable. Now, I know this should case me some kind of anguish. After all, his spirit and mine are connected. We were meant to be together forever. One half to the same whole and all that.

But... from my position from deep inside Cora it's impossible to feel anything but trapped. All of my emotions are completely cut off. I feel nothing. No anger, sadness, fear, anxiety, amusement, pleasure or love. I guess that's good in some ways. If I was still experiencing my emotions and trapped at the same time I would be pretty desperate by now. Instead, I just keep watching and waiting.

So, the next character in the movie is a female Manticore. She's pretty tall for a woman Manticore with a slim waist, long neck, and raven black hair. I hated to admit since I have never been physically attracted to a female but I was almost mesmerized by her sweet gentle face and firm supple lips. Not to mention her bright green doe eyes. She also feels really powerful. She has materialized into a leopard on more than one occasion when Cora has gotten out of hand.

It turns into a real pissing match. Usually it starts with some casual look from the leopard woman towards Joaquim or god forbid the woman actually touches him. Cora gets all bent out of shape and starts hissing and carrying on. Next thing you know the two of them are rolling around on the floor in an all-out battle for dominance. Her leopard is clearly the stronger and more dangerous animal of the two, yet... time after time when she could take the killing blow she backs off and allows Cora the chance to pull herself back together.

I have no reasonable explanation for that. xxx while kind to each other for the most part are not an altruistic race. The other cougar should have ended Cora and my existence after the first challenge. Why this woman would allow Cora to get away with this bad behavior over and over again is just beyond me. I also have no idea why the woman is even helping Joaquim.