Chapter 12

The ride was becoming much slower with the rocky terrain ever increasing.

Laeleth was now able to look at the scenery as they rode.
A distant tree-line was drawing close and Fantoma seemed edgier and more alert. His ears were twitching to and fro as if he were listening for something.

The sun overhead was beginning its descent and night would soon be upon them. The days were much shorter now as the threat of winter loomed ever closer.
Laeleth could see that any moment they would be within the shadowy forest. It stretched across the horizon in both directions as far as the eye could perceive. There would be no going around it.

As they entered the ominous overgrowth Fantoma’s coat began to blend with the woods. It shaded from a silver-grey to a deep charcoal as the light did not reach far within the oppressive and dense trees.
Laeleth was amazed at this but felt nervous at the deathly silence that now surrounded them.
Out on the open plain there had been the occasional sound of bird calls or the gentle breeze wafting along.
Now it was as though the world had been stifled – snuffed out in an instant by this all enveloping dark.

The horse snorted unhappily the further he walked. His muscles were tensed as he suppressed the urge to flee. There was something foreboding about this place that unnerved even the proud and confident creature.

“Gabriel,” Laeleth began in a faint voice. Her head was beneath his chin as she leaned against him. She could feel the roughness of his beard against her forehead, but did not mind it.
“How much farther must we go?” she asked in a weary tone. She did not much like this foreign and frightful looking forest any more than Fantoma did.

“We will stop before long,” he answered. “We must find a place to allow you some food and rest.” His tone was practical and flat. Even though he spoke softly his words seemed to cut through the heavy air as a knife.

Laeleth was rather surprised at how tired she felt even though they had been riding this entire time. Her muscles still ached from all the horrors she had so lately experienced.
The gentle and rhythmic gait of the horse lulled her and made her wish for the comforts of a soft bed.
She remembered the castle with far-off longing. Even in its disordered state it would be welcome over all of this.

But despite her immediate discomforts her mind felt clearer — much clearer than it had been in awhile.
She no longer felt the oppressive and heavy shadow over her heart that she had known for so many months now. The impending dread had been lifted and she could feel her hopeful nature returning the farther they continued.

Perhaps it was because she was now removed from Zobek's attempts to enter her thoughts; or perhaps it was just the comforting, unspoken aura that surrounded Gabriel when he was with her.

The forest grew even darker and denser around them as they rode. Fantoma stopped abruptly with a dissatisfied toss of his head.

Gabriel dismounted and quietly held up his hand for Laeleth to stay. He cautiously went forward a ways to survey the immediate area.
The bright red and gold tone of his long coat had soon disappeared amongst the surrounding trees. All color and light seemed to be swallowed in this tomb-like stillness.

As Laeleth waited, Fantoma pawed the ground nervously. The spirited animal did not like feeling trapped in such a close and stifling environment.
He longed to run freely and uninhibited, but his respect and loyalty to Gabriel alone kept him from flight.

The waiting seemed agonizing to Laeleth! How long would he leave her alone here?

She glanced about nervously, hoping that there were no sinister creatures nearby.
She recalled her encounters with the pack of vampires and then the wolves. Both had been harrowing and horrifying experiences. She wondered what creatures of darkness these woods contained for there was an uneasy stillness here.
This place seemed far more menacing than even the forest of home. Laeleth had the unsettling feeling of being watched by many eyes.