Chapter Forty One

Word Count: 1598

~Kezziah

It felt good sleeping next to Alden.

Sunlight streams in through the curtain, rousing me gently from my sleep. Stretching out, I bask in the feeling of warmth and comfort, feeling better than I ever have waking up before. When I glance over, I see Alden and his glistening navy blue eyes looking down at me, admiration and affection reflecting off them.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say drowsily, realising last night I had snuck into his room, unable to help myself. I just wanted to see what it would feel like to have my mate by my side. And after Thought visiting, I've been nervous to spend the night alone. "I didn't mean to come in here without asking I just-"

"It's okay, you don't need to apologise," Alden says huskily, voice still raw after a nights sleep. "I'm glad you came in to see me. I've never slept better if I'm honest."

I couldn't agree more.

Rolling over, I lay down on his bare chest, feeling the flutter of sparks before they subside, and I concentrate on the steady beat of his heart. If the sparks weren't there to confirm it, the feeling of being next to him, even for one night has filled me with a feeling of comfort and home. I'm glad I decided to slip into his bed in the first place.

"I wish time could just stop," I murmur, tracing my fingers across the raised muscle on his stomach, watching him quiver. "Both Time as in the immortal, and the time around us."

Alden runs his fingers tentatively through my hair. "I wouldn't worry about him right now. Not today."

He's right. Not right now.

Instead, I decide I want to spend time with my mate. Everything has been so hectic recently, the last thing I want is to think about what I need to do to deal with Time. All I want to do is lie with my head on Alden's chest, stare out the window at the slightly overcast day, and think of the future after all of this.

It inspires me to ask him a few questions. "Tell me a fact about Alden.

"Interesting question," Alden muses, sitting up a little to think about what to tell me. I'm curious to learn anything about the Alpha who sparks everyone's curiosity. "I wouldn't say there is much to know about me. I'm more curious about you."

Rolling my eyes, I sit up, crossing my legs to face him. "You can't turn that on me. There is plenty about you that I want to know, trust me. Tell me anything."

"Well, as you know, I'm very interested in technology. It runs in our family I would say, however, I'm proud to know that during my reign, we have made the most technical advancements. I'm proud of this Pack. I'm happy that you will rule it by my side soon," Alden says warmly.

There's a glow in his eyes while he speaks. It warms my insides. Especially at the mention that I will be the Luna of this Pack with time.

All of a sudden I can't wait.

"I know we said not to speak about Time, but I've been wondering how you two came to hate each other so much," I say tentatively, hoping it isn't a sensitive topic to talk about after asking not to speak about Time. He doesn't seem too bothered, loosening a sigh.

"He started turning innocent people into Travellers around two years ago. He started it within my Pack, looking for the smartest to do his jobs. With no other Alpha's willing to help me, I had to work on dealing him myself. And it started with curing these poor people," Alden explains.

It suddenly reminded me of why I was branded.

"I still haven't fulfilled why I was branded in the first place," I say distractedly. It hasn't worried me for awhile, but now I realise Time might be waiting to strike. "What if he comes back for me?"