Chapter Thirty Four

Word Count: 1535

~Alden

It hasn't rained so hard in the Wisdom Pack for a long while.

Icy winds accompanied it, lashing against my back and side, soaking me right through to the bone. This weather is a personification of my mood. If there is even an inch of this city I haven't searched today, I would would be very much surprised. On my own two feet two. As much as the ache and protest, begging to to stop.

My building comes into view through the haze of rain. People with black umbrellas up, rushing through the weather pay me no mind. With rain drenched hair and a solemn expression, I'm almost sure they don't recognize me.

Sermon greets me at the door as I walk in. "Alpha, you're finally back."

A few other people surround me. All of them work for me, but none of their names are important right now. They tug off my jacket, tossing a towel over my shoulders. They all ask me a million questions I don't respond to. Frustrating is building within me and I feel myself want to snap. I spent all that time outside in this weather and I didn't find Kezziah. She's still out there.

"Alpha, are you okay? You should have walked out there in this weather. We can find the girl tomorrow. We can send out our best security. You didn't need to go out there yourself..."

I stop short in my step, seeing my anger in the reflection of her eyes. "Don't tell me what I should and should not do. And she's not just a girl."

When I start walking, the other staff back off.

Sermon, however, keeps after me, heels clicking obnoxiously on the floor as I approach the bottom floor elevator that should take me back to my office. I need to check the camera's again to ensure I haven't missed anything. Any clue to where she has disappeared to would help me.

"Why don't you go to bed and rest. You'll get sick," Sermon insists, following me to the door of the elevator. "We know she hasn't left the Pack. Our border patrol know she's missing."

I grab her arm, stopping her from following me into the elevator. "Why don't you tell me something useful? Like where the hell my mate has gone?"

I don't pay attention to Sermon's surprise. Her opinion means nothing to me. I don't need to touch Kezziah to know she's my mate. I can feel it. There is no other I would trek through this entire city for. Now I know this, I need to get her back.

Sermon is speechless.

I step into the elevator, leaving her behind. In a last minute decision, I send myself to the top floor, run myself a shower and strip off of my clothing. I only feel relief when the water hits my back, taking the chill from under my skin. I'm lightheaded, most likely getting sick. It doesn't matter. If we don't find her tonight, I'll be out again tomorrow, no matter what I feel like.

I bang my fist against the shower wall, the flimsy material shuddering under trauma. I rest my head against the wall.

Why Kezziah...Why don't you trust me?

~Kezziah

The ring fit perfectly.

Everything seemed to be solved until Fate led me back outside and preparing us to leave before Time got back. It was then everything dawned on me again, and I realised I have nowhere to go. No way to contact Avia. It all relies on Fate, and now I'm not sure where his plan is going to end up.

The mist outside hasn't let up, but the sky seems to be darkening in the same way the mortal world would be. I'm assuming it's all a simulation of normality. To make Time feel less alone in this quiet place.