Chapter Seventeen

Word Count: 1635

~Kezziah

I can't predict what is going to happen tonight.

Three days has past from Cian's proposal. He will keep me safe, and in return, I will attend this party on his arm tonight. I'm not particularly fond of the idea, and I'm unsure of what will happen as a consequence, but I need this. If he keeps me safe, I can escape, find freedom, and Avia. I can finally right everything.

"I picked out your outfit for tonight," Cian tells me, turning around with a dress in hand. "Since you don't exactly have the resources to get yourself one."

By the expression on his face, it's obvious he found enjoyment in dictating what I were to wear tonight. He has brought me to faceless room somewhere I'm unfamiliar with. Whether it be in the mortal realm, or the immortal realm, Cian has chosen to keep that from me. And with a lack of windows in this ill furnished room, I have no idea where I am. All I know is he transported me here, which is a mode I'm not so unfamiliar with.

"So kind of you," I mutter, taking the dress in my hands.

Admittedly, it's beautiful. The entire dress, which will surely reach my ankles, is a stunning royal blue, the fabric, like satin underneath, overlayed with chiffon slips through my fingers. The expensive is evident, whether it be from the gossamer sleeves, or the crystal bodice.

Whatever this party involves, it's high class. It's for people with wealth. I'm not surprised by that, considering how Cian presents himself. I doubt he would make an appearance at anything other than a party molded by luxury and social class. I'm more concerned with who else will be attending.

"Why are you taking me?" I question, as Cian turns his back to me. An open invitation to safely remove my clothes.

I watch him shrug, as I unzip my jacket. "No one ever expects me to have a date."

Pulling my pants down to my ankles, I turn my back to him. I wonder who he is trying to impress. Perhaps another female he is interested in? A family member? Part of me doesn't want to know.

"I have to be back by morning," I remind him.

He doesn't say anything. I quickly step into the dress, and slide it up over my shoulders. It fits so immaculately, I consider suspicion. However, I pull my hands behind my back to zip it up. And of course, I can't reach the zip placed just above my backside. Sighing deeply, I whirl back around to Cian.

"A little help?" I ask, beckoning him to turn back around to me. He does so, a feline like smile stretching over his features when he realises my predicament.

His fingers are ice cold, as he turns me around, pulling the zip securely up to where it reaches the dresses finish in my mid back. Instead of pulling away, those chilling fingertips tracing the lines of my brand.

"He's like an artist, isn't he," Cian breathes. I flinch away, whirling around. "Don't look so offended. It suits you."

"A broken nose would suit you," I snap.

Cian shakes his head at me, not impressed by my outburst. Reaching behind him, he pulls something out from his back pocket. It's a small rectangle piece of silk with two pieces of string attached to each side. Without a spoken work, Cian wraps the silk over my nose and mouth, covering the entire lower half of my face.

"I can't trust that mouth of yours won't get you into trouble tonight. Or me," Cian murmurs, adjusting the piece of fabric accordingly. I can feel the weight of some pattern stitched into the silk.

My protests - which are pertinent the moment he placed the fabric over me - struggled to make it out of my mouth, caught despairingly on the tip of my tongue.