Chapter Twenty Six

Word Count: 1616

~Kezziah

The next morning, Alden announced we were going home.

I can't say I'm all that happy about being sent back to the institute. Locked up at the mercy of Sermon, doing everything in routine, each day after the other doesn't sound so appealing to go back to. But once we are back, Alden can take what he knows about my brand and the mate bond, and hopefully get some results.

All I can hope for is Time isn't any closer to finding out what is happening. If he comes back, I don't know what he will do. Maybe figure what he wants with me, and why he decided to mark me.

Alden and I don't speak much on the drive back. I'm too busy thinking. Alden and I are in this for our own gain, so I'm not sure if I should thank him. I decide I need to.

"Thank you."

Alden's glance at me away from his driving is heavy. I look away, unsure of how to react, suddenly wanting to step out of the car, despite being somewhere in the middle of nowhere. If only I could explain why Alden makes me feel nervous, and not out of fear. It's some kind of foolish little girl nervousness you might get around someone you find attractive.

I need to get rid of it. He's my Alpha, and he would surely ridicule me for my feelings if they went anything beyond this stupid flutter in my stomach. It shouldn't matter how attractive he is. It shouldn't matter how I feel about him. It will come to an end, and I'll make sure of it.

"I've said this before, Zezziah, you don't have to thank me," he tells me, confirming my raitional thoughts from earlier.

I shrug my shoulders, looking out the window. "I thought I best anyway."

Instead of concentrating on Alden, I concentrate on the rolling fields that pass us by. The sun hidden behind dark, looming clouds. These are sights I won't see once we reach the Wisdom Pack, and I'm placed back into the institute. I can only wonder what concoctions are waiting for me at Sermons hand.

"You don't want to go back," Alden says, his tone firm and direct, less of a question and more of a statement. However, he is not accusatory. It's almost as if he read my mind, or perhaps felt the dread seeping from my pores.

"I used to have free reign wherever I wanted," I tell him, propping my elbow on the cars armrest. "I miss that."

Alden nods. "I understand."

Despite his words, I have a feeling he doesn't, though. Alden surely knows nothing but what he is confined to in his Pack. And, his special hideaway in the mountains. Perhaps he is the most intelligent Alpha on the mortal land, but he runs a prison like Pack. A place with one goal. To be the best.

When I don't say anymore, Alden speaks again. "I'll try my best to ensure you do not have to remain in that place for much longer."

"Thank you," I breathe.

I say no more for the rest of the trip.

***

We arrived at the Wisdom Pack that evening. The sun had set a warm glow across tinted building windows, across smooth white pavements as we pulled back into the institute parking lot. As the darkness of the overhead swallowed us whole, I felt the depression of this place weigh upon me.

Alden leads me back to the elevator, however, instead of taking me back to my room where I have commonly spent my time, he takes me to another floor entirely. High up too, pas this offices and close to his personal suite.

When the doors slide open, I see a hallway, littered with doors leading to room I cannot assume what is behind.

"What is this?" I ask.