24. I See it In You - 1 BBY

Start from the beginning

"Well, the Rebellion likes having one of its best operatives in one piece."

A sly smile tugged at one corner of Cassian's lips. Hearing those words drew his eyes to hers as the question played on his tongue, "The Rebellion, or you?"

Talia did not resist the smile that formed. She peered back into his eyes to hold his gaze. "Both." Getting off the base...to do what? Watch the star destroyers pass by? Perform a stakeout? People watch? What would Cassian, the man who stayed up all night watching out an empty window, possibly do for fun? An idea struck Talia, causing her to stand up and grab her purple coat. "I know just the place."

It didn't take long to get to Sesid, a beautiful blue planet in the outer rim territory. Green and black dots spotted the orb, indicating where the flush jungles and volcanoes were located. Cassian glanced over at Talia in sheer curiosity. What were they doing here, of all places? Tropical planet? So he didn't need to bring his jacket. Talia remained silent, her fingers rattling against the console as the air traffic control directed the ship to a certain landing pad.

A leaf.

They were landing the ship on a giant orange leaf at least three times the size of their ship. Cassian's eyes widened. How could the ship not sink right through? He held the arms of his captain's chair tight as the ship settled on the leaf, bobbing up and down in the water as they settled. He slowly let go of his grip and shot a concerned glance in Talia's direction.

A grin graced Talia's blooming face as pinks and reds highlighted her features from the shining lights outside. Her brown eyes immediately focused in on the bright city on the other island. She jumped out of her seat and sprinted towards the door. "We made it on time!"

Cassian's brow furrowed in confusion, but the excited look on her face caused him to chuckle. Nothing had ever made her that happy before. "For what?"

Talia opened the door and waved for him to follow suit. "You'll see."

The veins of the leaf provided them a path to the white boardwalk itself, dyes of green and purple swirled into the material. Everywhere Cassian looked, there was a different species walking around. Vendors of all kinds were propped up on the edges of the wood and robots with various arms attempted to sell their wares. Clothing, holographic tech, handmade jewelry, all the touristy items were here. Wooden repulsorlift boats docked on the side, waiting to be rented. Aromas of fresh soup and fish wafted into his nose, causing his mouth to water. Talia held his hand and pushed through the crowd.

The turquoise ocean brushed up against the black shore. White seashells were scattered amongst the dark sand, reflecting the moonlight like stars in the sky. Their feet sunk into the sand with each step as they made their way across a long stretch of beach. The aromas found on the pier followed the breeze in the other direction, leaving the overwhelmingly fresh smell of the water crash into their noses. After a bit of walking, Talia sat down on the sand.

Cassian glanced around. No one was in sight. They had traveled far from the dock itself and were only surrounded by lush forest and water. He sat down next to her and followed her line of sight onto the glimmering green city of Thinaka in the far distance. It buzzed with life, the cheering and music so loud that the beat was audible from where they sat. He inched closer to Talia and turned his gaze to the stars.

BOOM!

Cassian jumped in his spot, his hand reaching for his blaster as a reflex. Talia set her hand on his to steady him. She pointed to the sky with her free hand. Another boom sounded off, echoing through the trees around them. Fireworks. The city was celebrating with fireworks. Different hues of vibrant colors danced across the sky. Cassian chuckled for a second to make his on-end nerves dissipate.