Chapter Twenty - Commitment

Start from the beginning

"Thank you." Kat gave her a bright smile. The girl returned it, relieved.

"We'll continue this discussion later." Cal grumbled, letting Kat know that the matter was not going to be dropped.

She hardly blamed him, she thought, as they walked back to the pack house. She would have been going out of her mind if it was the other way around.

They entered the dining hall to the sound of applause, Cal flinched slightly before smiling at the room.

He raised his hand and the sound died down.

"Thank you, my wolf brothers and sisters. I would like to inform you that your Luna, Katja has accepted a proposal I recently made. A proposal of marriage." He grinned as the hall erupted with joy.

"Would you like to say something?" He whispered to Kat, "They might like to get to know their Luna. So far they've seen you fight, maybe they should see your human side, too."

Kat looked deep into the eyes of the man she loved. She felt like his words had come directly from the Moon Goddess. This was a chance, Kat was taking it.

She raised her hand as Cal had and the room stilled instantly. Kat was shocked at how quickly she'd got their attention. Cal sent her a wry smile.

"My wolf sisters and brothers." She smiled, the women laughed lightly, not used to being acknowledged first, "My mate and future husband makes a good point. You have seen me fight on many occasions but you do not truly know me as he does. I would appreciate a moment to speak about myself, so that you can form a more accurate judgement on my character." She gulped, looking at Cal. He smiled brightly, taking a seat.

"I grew up as Katja Aylin, daughter of Theodulf and Kira Aylin," whispers started around the room, "and sister to Konan Aylin." A few wolves cried out in shock. "I understand this is shocking and upsetting news but I would like you to listen to my story." The room was silent again. "Thank you." Kat smiled, no one smiled back.

"My parent's were wonderful, my childhood was perfect. I had a good relationship with my only sibling. That was until my sixteenth year of life. That was the year my brother murdered our parents and attempted to kill me too." She heard some gasps, the whole room had an icy atmosphere, they all hung on her every word.

"That day was over eight years ago. In that time, Konan has chased me relentlessly, almost killing me on one occasion. I hate him with every fibre of my being. For eight years that is all I had, hate. Now, I find love, real love." She looked at Cal, he was smiling at her, eyes locked on hers.

"I lost everyone that ever meant anything to me. I stayed away from meaningful friendships and relationships. I guess what I'm saying is... I never really had a real sibling. Now, I have a whole hall full of family. Full of brothers and sisters. I promise you I will fight for you, forever. I will make you proud to call me sister."

There was a beat of silence, Kat held her breath.

The cheers were deafening. Kat found herself surrounded by bodies, all desperate to touch her, hug her, kiss her hands. Kat smiled around at her new family, basking in their warmth. She searched over the many heads, looking for Cal. Instead she saw Vilkas, staring at her, arms crossed, a stony look of annoyance on his scarred face. A snake of suspicion curled in her chest.

Are you the spy, Vilkas?

She shook the thought away, he was second-beta. He wouldn't endanger his Alpha.

When Kat had shaken the hand of the last wolf, she finally sat down next to Cal. Tate dropped down in the seat opposite her.

"Great speech, Kat. You going to run for president next?" He teased.