#16 ; e.cavani EN

For Demi aka alcantara- who once said ironically that Cavani is her religion :)

"MOM, LOOK at the house!"

Demi smiled, looking at her son. He was five, and she started to really really love being a mother now that he was talking and discovering his surroundings.

Today, they were having a walk into the streets to see the Christmas decorations. It had snowed two days ago, so there was no snow on the roads anymore, but the houses were still covered in white.

"It's really pretty," she nodded, noticing that their were Christmas decorations on this house.

The kept walking and Demi frowned: they were a little far away from their small apartment now, entering a rich neighborhood.

"Oh mom, this house...it's Santa's house!" he exclaimed, letting go of her hand. She laughed when she saw that indeed, the house looked like Santa's house in one of these books that she had read to him before sleeping. She frowned when she saw him very close to the mailbox, and her eyes opened wide when he put something into it.

"Joshua, what did you just do?" she asked, coming closer, and the little boy smiled.

"I put my letter to Santa Claus into his mailbox! You said that we would send it but that way we don't have to, he will see it as soon as he checks his mails!"

Demi tried not to panic and smiled at his son.

"Great!"

He took his mom's hand and started to walk again, while she was trying to remember exactly what house it was to come back later.

🎄

The next day, she sacrificed her lunch break at work to come back here. She wasn't sure that the person living here would actually be here at that time, but she couldn't come with Joshua, so it was her best chance.

"Yes?" a voice in the intercom asked.

"Uh, hi, I'm sorry to bother you but yesterday my son put his letter to Santa Claus in your mailbox and, uh, I would like to take it back if that's possible."

"Wait a minute," the voice said, and Demi nodded. Indeed, a few minutes later, the big gate opened, and two people appeared.

"You can leave us, Ricardo," one of the two men said.

"Are you sure?" Ricardo asked, and the other man nodded, so Ricardo left them.

"Hi, I'm Edinson," the other man smiled.

"Hi, Demi," she nodded. "Can I take my son's letter back please?"

"Is it urgent?"

Demi frowned.

"Uh...yes. Christmas is in three weeks, and I need to buy the presents as soon as possible."

"I see," Edinson nodded.

"Look, if you threw it away, you can tell me, I completely understand, but I really can't tell my son that he has to do another one so I'll have to look in the trash and everything."

Edinson smiled.

"You're a very good mother."

"I do what I can," she shrugged.

"Look, uh...I don't know how to say that."

"Just say it," she urged.

"I...can't give you the letter back today. Only next week."

"I'm sorry but...what?"

"I know, it's a little weird, but I promise this is for a good reason. You don't mind coming back in a week?"

"I don't understand why."

"I know," he nodded, "see you next week!" he quickly said before closing the gate behind him.

🎄

A week later, Demi was back.
This time, she didn't even have to use the intercom: Edinson directly opened the gate.

"Did you come with a car?"

"Yes?" she said, lost.

"Perfect. I'll help you then."

"What are you talking about?" Demi asked, starting to be annoyed. She just wanted the letter back.

"I, uh...I bought all the things that were on the letter."

"Excuse me?!"

Edinson nodded with a small smile, and Demi shook her head.

"What do you mean by that? It was three pages of presents!"

"I know. I bought everything. I'll help you to fill your car."

Twenty minutes later, they had managed to put one-third of the presents in Demi's small car.

"I'll take one of my cars to bring the rest," Edinson decided, and finally, after an hour, everything was in Demi's house, hidden as best as possible.

"Why did you do that?" she asked, and he shrugged.

"I saw the letter and I thought why not."

"How can I thank you for that?"

"Uh, well," he hesitated, "by exchanging phone numbers so you can tell me if he liked it or not?"

"Are you gonna delete the number after that?" she mocked.

"No, I'll probably know by now if you're single and if you are I could ask you on a date."

"What if I'm not single?"

"I'll leave you alone."

"Okay," she nodded, and they exchanged their phone numbers. "Thank you for everything. And for your information, I am single."

🎄 tomorrow: a player from FC Barcelone 🎄