chapter 30

"They're over there," Reese said, trying to calm herself down. Mitchel was able to notice her anxiousness as she eyed her family from one side of the room. He followed her gaze and saw them, talking among themselves. Her parents had their backs to them, but a younger boy who shared similar facial features to Reese as well as a girl faced the two. The Australian pulled his eyes away from them and looked at Reese, who was already looking at him.

"You know," Mitchel started, letting out a nervous chuckle. "We could just, I don't know, stay here?"

"They're going to wonder where I went," Reese responded. Mitchel kept his eyes on her for a few seconds before letting out a sigh in defeat, realizing he would have to meet them eventually. "I'm sorry, I know this must be really weird and uncomfortable for you but I didn't want to come to this alone."

"It's okay, I understand," the braided boy smiled softly. His heart began to slow down and return to its natural pace. The small girl nodded before they began to make their way over to her family.

Okay Mitchel, breathe, he reminded himself, letting out soft breaths. As they inches closer and closer, Mitchel felt his heart drop. He was scared because he didn't know what they would think of him. He didn't know if they were good people, if they took care of Reese right. Today was the day he would find out, though.

Reese cleared her throat before speaking up. "Mom, dad, I'm back."

The brunette's parents turned to face them as Luke and Nina's attention shifted to them as well. The older woman eyed Mitchel from head to toe in confusion before looking at her daughter questioningly.

"Who's this?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed. Mitchel took the opportunity to speak up and introduce himself.

"I'm Mitchel Cave," he started, attempting to cover up his nervousness. "Reese's friend."

The small girl observed the look on everyone's faces. Her mother was shocked, seeming a little tense, while her father smiled a warm smile.

"Nice to meet you," the older man said, putting his hand out. Mitchel did the same and shook his hand, smiling at him. "I'm glad you could be here today with Reese."

"My pleasure," Mitchel nodded once. Reese held back a laugh at how formal the braided boy sounded. It was unusual for her to hear. He turned his attention to Reese's mother, realizing she hasn't said a word. He caught her eyeing him still, almost as if she was hesitant to say anything at all.

"Honey, don't you want to say anything?" The older man said, wrapping his arm around his wife who just looked down at her feet as she let out a soft breath. Luke smiled at Reese and Mitchel, showing his happiness in a small gesture. Finally, the woman cleared her throat.

"Mitchel," she started. "Can I ask what your mother's name is?"

"Brigitte Cave," the Australian replied, offering a small, polite smile. A shaky breath left her lips as she lifted her head lightly. Without any other words, she quickly tugged on her husband's arm and pulled him along with her as she walked away from her kids and their dates. Confusion was clear throughout their faces as they looked at each other.

"What's up with mom?" Luke asked, raising his eyebrows.

"No idea," Reese sighed, eyeing her parents from a distance. The older man's eyes shifted from his wife to his daughter, an apologetic smile clear on his face. Immediately, his attention was turned back to the older woman.

"Well, anyway," the younger boy said, breaking the silence between the four of them. "Glad to finally meet you... Um..."

"Mitchel," the braided boy laughed, causing Luke to chuckle nervously. "Don't worry, I understand."