chapter 29

Today was the day of the party and all Reese could think about throughout the whole day was finding some sort of excuse not to go. She didn't understand why her mom and Luke would make her go knowing she wasn't fond of events like this. For the past few days, they'd constantly talk about it, making Reese realize it was best if she didn't put up a fight between them. They were the most stubborn people she knew, anyway. And besides, she thought about Mitchel attending the party as well, which somewhat tempted her.

The small girl was already feeling nervous, but knowing Mitchel would probably come around was also making it go through the roof. When she told him about it, he said he'd try to come along. She wasn't really bothered, though, because she knew he was busy. Or so she thought she was.

"Reese, you ready?" Her father asked, poking his head into the room since the brunette's door was open. He was wearing a tux and his dark brown hair was neatly combed. He paused for a moment and smiled softly. "You look beautiful by the way."

"Thank you, dad," Reese smiled back politely, feeling suddenly satisfied with what she was wearing and how she looked. "And almost, just need a few more minutes."

"Alright," he nodded. "Head downstairs when you are. We'll be waiting." He then disappeared from the door.

Reese got up from her bed and made her way over to her mirror. She eyed her reflection for a while and turned to the side from time to time to observe her outfit. A burgundy dress that was just above the knees, and burgundy flats that had laces wrapping around her ankles. It took her quite a bit to find the dress and shoes considering she never really wore them. All she wore was jeans, hoodies, sweatpants, sweatshirts, t-shirts, her vans and her converse. She rarely ever wore dresses to anything, which is why she had to dig through some of her packed bags filled with clothes she never uses often. Luckily for her, the outfit looked better than she thought.

As for her makeup, she didn't do much besides using maroon lipstick and a little bit of highlight that she borrowed from her mother. She didn't feel like spending a long time on makeup at all. Her hair was simply curled, mostly because she was running out of time and didn't want to waste any more of it.

Softly, she sighed in content before finally breaking her eyes away from the mirror. The small girl made her way back to her bed and picked up her phone, checking the time. It was almost time for the party, so she knew she had to hurry. Grabbing her phone and burgundy clutch, she turned off the lights and quickly exited her bedroom. The all too familiar voices of her parents and brother could be heard from the top of the stairs. As she made her way down, the wooden staircase creaked beneath her.

Luke had his back turned to her as her parents were seated on the couch, smiling at their son as their hands intertwined together. From what Reese could tell, he was explaining something to them and it was likely that it was about his little date to this event. He was dressed up in a black tux similar to their father's, and his hair was a lot shorter and neatly combed as well. As for her mother, she was wearing a short, plain, black dress with black high heels. Her long, dark brown hair was curled, similar to Reese's, as it rested on one side of her shoulders.

Once she appeared in sight, her parents' eyes shifted toward her, causing Luke to turn around. They eyed her with a smile while Luke himself just smirked lightly. He made eye contact with his sister and raised his eyebrows. Immediately, she could tell it had to do with Mitchel, causing her to roll her eyes at him. Her parents rose to their feet, adjusting their outfits to make them look neater.

"Are you kids ready?" Their father asked, smiling at the two of them. They nodded, not saying another word. With that, they all made their way out of the front door and walked over to the car in silence.