chapter 9

Reese spent the next day under the covers. She had no intention of getting out of bed, or even the house. The angered look Mitchel had on his face continued to creep into her head as well as the things he said to her. She no longer felt like seeing him at all, and was glad she didn't give him her address. She just wanted to cut all ties with him. They barely knew each other and all, but she saw Mitchel differently now.

A knock at her door pulled her out of her thoughts. There was a slight creaking noise as it was opened slowly by her brother.

"Hey," Luke said softly. "You doing okay?" He received no response from his older sister, causing him to sigh. He made his way over to her bed and pulled her blanket off of her face to make sure she was awake. "Mom wants you to come down and eat. You already missed breakfast, she doesn't want you missing lunch either."

"Tell her I'll be down later," Reese muttered, pulling the blanket back. "I'm not hungry."

"You have to eat," he pointed out. "This isn't good for you."

"I don't care."

"You should."

After a moment of silence, Luke sighed and decided to leave her alone. He walked out of the bedroom and closed the door, leaving Reese by herself in her dark room once more.

Her phone buzzed, catching her attention, but she didn't have the energy to pick it up and check. She shifted around and faced away from her nightstand. The light coming from the outside of her room was bright, causing her to lift the blanket over her head. Reese closed her eyes and sighed, attempting to fall asleep once more. Once she was finally able to sleep, it soon got interrupted by her mother who came into her room.

"Reese, you need to eat," she said immediately as soon as she came in. "Your brother told me you said you didn't care."

"I don't," she replied, not looking at her. Reese heard her mother sigh loudly in annoyance. Without another word, her mother walked out of her room. Reese hoped that nobody would come in and interrupt her anymore. Minutes later, her mom came back with a tray of food.

"Here's food if you want to eat," her mother said in a monotone voice. "I'll set it on your drawer." The tray of food was placed on Reese's drawer a little aggressively by her mom before she left. Reese sighed once her door was shut. She felt numb again.

Her phone began to ring out of nowhere, but she already knew who was calling. She didn't want to answer. She stayed put the way she was and closed her eyes slowly as she hugged a pillow for comfort. Not too long after, she closed her eyes and fell into a hole of deep sleep.

***

Reese opened her eyes quickly, gasping for air. Beads of sweat were falling from her forehead as she panted heavily. It took a while for her to finally calm down. She sat up on her bed and looked around her slightly dark bedroom, trying to make sure everything was the same. She was having another bad dream.

The brunette lied back down and closed her eyes, only to receive flashes of what happened in the dream. Deciding she shouldn't sleep, she opened her eyes, staring at her ceiling for a while. Once her heart finally returned to its normal pace and her breathing slowed down again, she turned her body over to check her phone for the time. However, Mitchel's name popped up a few times on her screen as text notifications.

Mitchel
Hey. I know you don't want to talk to me rn. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about yesterday. I really didn't mean it.

Mitchel
I was just so angry seeing them together especially cus Val's shirt was off. She was there in her bra with Nate. It just pushed my buttons even more.

Mitchel
U probably don't want anything to do with me at this point. I can understand. But I just wanted to explain.

Reese's heart dropped slightly. She felt bad for getting upset at Mitchel, especially when he's had to go through seeing a close friend with his ex, who he still wasn't over. The brunette felt disappointed for not thinking of his feelings.

A soft sigh escaped her lips before she decided to reply to him.

Reese
no, i'm sorry. i didn't think of how you were feeling.

She decided to leave it at that and turned off her phone, swallowing harshly. Mitchel typically replied quick, but today, he was taking slightly longer. Reese didn't think too much of it considering he could be busy. Well, compared to her, he had a life. Of course he'd be busy with something else.

After a few minutes, her phone turned on, quickly catching her attention. Mitchel had replied.

Mitchel
Still doesn't give me the right to talk to you like that and say harsh words. U didn't deserve that.

Reese
it's okay, Mitchel. i appreciate it. but really, it's fine.

Mitchel
I really want to get to know you better n we haven't had the chance to do so at all. How bout we go get coffee? My treat:)

Reese felt her lips curve into a soft smile. She wanted to get to know him better all this time, but she was caught up with her anger and fear all day. The brunette felt bad for him. She sighed to herself and began to type away on her phone.

Reese
sure thing, i'd like that. when though?

Mitchel
We can do it within the next few days. Gon be busy for a bit tho

Reese
that's alright. i'm free all week.

Mitchel
Aight cool:) I'll text u the details soon

Reese
sounds good. thank you. and i'm sorry again for ignoring you all day. i should've known better.

Mitchel
I don't blame u for ignoring me tbh, so don't sweat it. Ur alright

Reese
well alright. thank you. i'll talk to you later. :)

Mitchel
Talk to u later too :)