(1)여름

DISCLAIMER

Any story that has the same plot as this is completely coincidental. This story is inspired by my real life aunt and uncle who have a 14 year age gap. But this is not their story, this is a story I completely made up. Yes, my aunt married my uncle at age 14.

여름 = Yeoreum which is the main character's name and it means "Summer"

-----

I felt my hand tremble as I fake a smile at the camera. The camera clicked and a flash of white light interrupted my eyes.

I glanced at my mother, then at my sister and then at my father. All of them had a look of uncertainty in their eyes. But who was I to blame them? I, aged 14, am gonna get married to a 28 year old man.

Deep inside, I also blame them. I blame them for not fighting enough for me. I felt like they just gave up and married me off. But I can also see it through my mother's eyes. That she didn't want any of this as much as I do. I see that and I can't help but feel a pang on my chest. A pain for myself and a pain for my family.

The door opened and came in my friend, Haru, who's the only friend of mine who knew of my situation. She smiled at me as she walked through the door with her pretty pink dress. My family stood up from beside me and began to leave the room. My father patted my shoulder, my mom just looked at me and my sister is still sat beside me.

I made eye contact with my sister. She's eight years older than me yet I'm gonna get married first. She gave me a smile and said "See you later" My sister laid her hand on my shoulder and tightened her grip. I could feel myself tearing up again.

Sooyeon stood up and took a last look at me "You're beautiful, baby sister" With that, she left the room

Haru sat next to me and patted my back "This marriage won't last forever you know"

"Ten years is not a short time, Haru" My words got out harsher than I intended to. The thought irked me and made me want to cry at the same time. I have so many things I haven't done and I'm not even graduated from high school. I'm still 14, why do I have to go through this?

I patted the white silk of my wedding dress and I felt dread fill me up. In just a few minutes time, the ceremony will start. The door opened and the wedding planner's head popped out from behind the door. The woman smiled comfortingly and said

"It's time"