six

December 22nd
Brooklin, New York, Grandma Dottie's

Fletcher wakes up the next morning to find a mysterious stuffed elf sitting on the edge of his desk where he does his artwork. His face scrunches up as he gets out of bed and stares at the toy, which is kind of creepy. "Grandma!" Fletcher calls.

"What is it Fletchy?" Dottie appears in the room.

"This creepy elf. What is it doing here?" Fletcher asks, not wanting to touch it.

"I have know idea. I've never seen that thing in my life."

Fletcher stands back. "That's creepy! Get rid of it!"

Grandma Dottie smiles as she grabs the toy elf. "It's cute! I'm going to put it in the living room."

"Aren't you concerned how it got there?" Fletcher shouts out as Dottie leaves the room. He follows her into the apartment's living room.

"It's adorable Fletcher." Dottie places the elf beside the tv.

"No Grandma, it's creepy!"

"Maybe it's here for a reason Fletcher." Dottie left for the kitchen.

Here for a reason? Fletcher thinks. That creepy old thing? There's got to be a ghost in this apartment or something.

Fletcher is about to leave the room, when he hears something. A faint voice. "Mr. Elf, I wish for..."

Fletcher jumps and whips his head around. He creeps towards the elf and that's when he hears it more clearly. "Mr. Elf, I wish for Fletcher to come back." The voice is kind of muffled, but Fletcher recognizes it.

"Why do you sound just like Olive?" he shrieks at the elf. "What is going on?!

Oddly, Grandma Dottie doesn't react to his screaming. The elf speaks again. "Your stupid elf doesn't work."

"Yup, that's definitely something Olive would say," says Fletcher. "But what the heck is she doing inside this elf?" He picks it up gently, and inspects it. He notices a tiny speaker on the back of the toy and there's a button. Fletcher presses it and Olive's voice plays again. "Mr. Elf, I want Fletcher to come back."

Feeling relieved, he holds the elf against his chest. Fletcher loves hearing her voice. He hasn't heard it in over a year. They would only exchange a few texts here and there.

"She wants me back," Fletcher whispers. "Olive wants me back.