Chapter 67 - Freed

Start from the beginning

"It's alright, you're alright..." he crouched down and tried to carry her on his back but her body was becoming too weak, the loss of blood from her broken ribs was affecting her.

She sunk to the floor, choking on her own breath, her hands clinging hoping to latch onto James. 

He was there to catch her, his face was twisted in pain from seeing her so broken.

"Elizabeth... please... we can't stop here.." his voice was breaking, and it felt as though inside, his heart was breaking for her.

He held her in his lap, stroking the hair from her face as she gasped for breath. Her feet found the flatness of the earth and she pushed herself upwards.

I have to make it.
I have to get to a hospital.
I need to ...

He was surprised to see how strong willed she was to push herself enough to stand back on her feet, he held onto her tightly, maneuvering her through the thick woods. Even though it was slow and she struggled , she didn't want to give up. Not yet.

Zach spotted them, behind him Victor and the officers were catching up. Their flash lights illuminating the way.

Zach sprinted towards James, his target so close.
His revenge so close.
Elizabeth so close.

James heard the sound of fast steps coming
towards him and released Elizabeth, she fell to the cool earth again but had he not released her she would have been tackled as well.

Zach lunged himself on James, tackling him down on the ground. His fists flying, punching him everywhere he could make contact.

Although James was stronger , he had been severely injured after such a torturous night. 

"don't! Please!" Cried Elizabeth as she watched helplessly in horror how Zach attacked the priest.

But Zach wouldn't hear her, he landed blows to his face, breaking his nose, bruising his eye.

James couldn't stop it so instead he kicked at him, pushing Zach off his body. This allowed him to roll to his side, spitting out the blood in his mouth before finding his footing to stand.

"You don't know when to quit !" The priest shouted at him as he kicked him hard, with intent to break his ribs, or at least his arm. He kicked Zach hard, with all the hate he could muster, several times ignoring how he writhed on the ground. His foot kicked his stomach knocking the wind out of him, and finally his head making him dizzy, impaired and silent.

James stumbled backwards , wiping the blood from his lips and rushed to get back to Elizabeth.

Victor could make out the figure amongst the trees, he pointed to a cop, "there they are! Hurry!"

Elizabeth used a tree behind her to help her stand to her feet, she felt relieved when she saw James approach her despite being bruised up he seemed alright, ready to take her in his arms again.

But her stomach dropped when she noticed Zach stand, Jame's gun in securely in his hands. The priest had not noticed it fall from when he was tackled. 

Zach aimed it well this time, despite being kicked in the face and pulled the trigger.

The sound of the shot echoed loudly among the woods.