Chapter 10- Decent Beckons

Start from the beginning

I remembered walking the dirt path littered with bottles and trash home to my drunk, uncaring mother, knowing that she wouldn't ask where he was. Wouldn't even bother to turn her head in my direction when I opened the door. I went out with a brother and I came home without one. No one even cared. 

I searched days and weeks and months for him. Never finding a trace, or any clue. It was like he disappeared. Like he was never here. Like he never existed. Like there was no one to be found. I am the only one who still carry the thoughts of that day. They Haunt Me. 

This will not happen again. But the possibility propels me through the brush. 

Dripping in sweat and gasping for breath, I feel the intensity of the air change; letting me know I am near their camp.

I should have known it was Them. I should have recognized that the middle eastern girl. Should have put together the fact that she was probably working under orders. I should have been thinking about how I was going to get him back. I should have been planning, Not running blind and aimless into the hands of the enemy! I curse my stupidity. Focus, the mantra runs through my head. 

I cannot fight my way in; the fight with just the girl had me on my back, and too hurt for another round. I know there are several, and they are all here; I won't be able to take him back stealthily. My options are none. 

A plan forms. 

I limp right to them. Not hiding, not rushing. I just walk. Purposely, with confidence I do not feel. 

I feel the air still as I sense eyes on me. The slight sounds around me still all at once. I know they know I am here. I wait, opening my mind; concentrating on the energies I have always been attuned to. 

I feel more than hear someone approach. I turn, facing them full front. I go for a haughty defiant mask, preparing for a battle of the words and wills. I see the lean and strong form of the leader step out of the shadows, into the thin light of early early morning. The contrast of his dark, bold features and light skin is heightened in the dim light. He stands a good 20 feet away, but even from here I can see the beauty I had not before. Maybe his features are not striking, but the light and dark colour and the arrogance and confidence in his demeanor is what make him stunning. 

I need to appear unaffected and powerful if this is to work. I lift my chin regally, mimicking the way Ian had stood: straight and tall. Confident and dangerous in the middle of a war zone. Holding only the sword of my own quick thinking, I glare at the man in front of me. 

An amused smile spreads to his eyes, making the gray appear translucent. He seems to be laughing at my audacity. He walks forward towards me, not threateningly, but as if we are in a conversation and he doesn't want to have to strain to hear me. 

 I want to take a step back, confrontations were never my forte. I force myself to stand still; no backing down. I will hold my own.

"I don't believe we have been formally introduced," he begins conversationally. His accent is unfamiliar to me, with crisp vowels and lilting ends. Yum. "I am Jace, Leader of this lovely Koet and the person with the answers to all of your hearts desire-- err... questions." He stresses the word intentionally, watching me closely. If I was a meeker girl I would have melted. "If I only knew you name...." He breaks of suggestively, raising an eyebrow.

He stands just a little farther away than someone would in a normal conversation, but I can almost feel the heat of him. I can play this game. 

I smile coyly. "Wouldn't you just Love to know?" I lengthen the O in love flirtatiously, buying time. "Well," I take a measured step forward, lowering my voice conspiratorially. His pupils dilate as I continue. Bingo. "I'm sure we can figure something out."