maybe|part 2

Enjoy!

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination."—Jimmy Dean
———————————————————

Chapter 31|Part 2
<——————————————->

I watched as Raven shuffled through her closet, meeting several profanities to herself. From her deep concentration, I figured that she wasn't planning to only go and get a manicure.

I leaned up from the beanbag chair. "Why are we getting so dressed up for a manicure?" I asked slowly.

"What?" Maggie shifted to look at me, a silly look drawn across her face. "Raven didn't tell you?"

I shook my head, confused. "Tell me what?"

"She didn't tell you that—" Maggie's sentence was cut short as Raven abruptly interrupted,"That we are going to have a great time!" A look of disdain from Raven, followed by a shake of the head was soon thrown at Maggie.

My eyes fell into slits. In the short time Raven and I had known each other, I knew when she was lying and when she was telling the truth. But, right now, I knew she only leaked of a lie.

I shifted toward her. "Raven, I know when you're lying," I stated.

"What?" She shook her head, her brown curls bouncing across her shoulders. "I'm not lying, what are you talking about?"

"Then, you're twisting the truth," Maggie mumbled from beside me, tapping away at her phone.

Jax finally came from the bathroom, sporting a dark green tee with a cane and a top hat. "Alright ladies and gents! Who's ready to part-ay?" He tapped my shoulder with the cane, winking.

Raven anchored a death glare at Jax, who shrugged his shoulders.

Her shoulders finally fell as she sighed. "Okay, fine. I lied about the manicures."

Obviously. "Okay, then so what are we actually doing?"

I caught the piece of clothing tossed toward me. I didn't even bother to look at it.

Raven left back into her walk-in closet. "We're going to a Halloween party," I heard her say.

I shook my head roughly, offering the clothing to Maggie, who eagerly took it. Raven returned from the closet, smiling.

It was nearly laughable, how serious they were. "You guys might be," I snorted. "But I'm not."

Raven tapped my nose, before handing me another outfit of some sort. "Oh, pretty girl. Yes, you are."

"Okay, while you two argue about this," Maggie stood from the beanbag, grabbing her own outfit from the bed. "I'm going to go change." Maggie patted us both on the back before leaving to the bathroom.

Jax took Maggie's spot on the chair, and we watched as Raven returned to search her closet. "Let's see what I can wear." Jax and I shot a look at one another, and he rolled his eyes.

She continued to talk about the party as if we were all going to attend. I shook my head while she talked, knowing that her words only went through one ear and never came out the other. Hell, I hadn't even remembered that today was Halloween.

I didn't do parties; I had never even been to one. I wasn't planning on changing that tonight either.

The drunk teens, the groping and grinding, the drunken mishaps, all of it. I didn't live that life, nor had I ever wanted to.