butterflies

Okay so updates- 1. I changed Kade's little brother's name to Kacen! 2.It's been asked of me a lot, soo there will be about three Kade POV's before the book is over. 3. There will be one epilogue. 4. Come back to this picture after you've finished the chapter! & 5. This book needs MAJOR editing lol so if u see random updates, I'm just editing chapters!

Now thank you lovelies for nearly 700K readers! 💕 Enjoy 🤍.

"You touched the place in my heart where love runs wild." — Perry Poetry
————————————————————

Chapter 62
<————————————-->

Ryland stood opposite side of me, hands on hips, and lips pursed before looking at me. "Hand me another."

I reach into the bag of ornaments, placing another into his open hand. "Ryland, at this point, we're never going to finish."

As expected, Ryland was extra careful while decorating the tree. He observed the area for any sign of mistake, and if he deemed it unfit, we'd restart the entire thing.

"Damn it, the red looked better over there..." he trailed off as he bent to pick up some more of the ornaments.

The hem of his shirt lifted from his torso, the black ink claiming my attention. I couldn't see much, but the tattoo had to be large.

I wrapped one of the tinsels around from top to bottom. "Ryland?"

Though he was too enticed with the crookedness of my decorations, he answered with a, "Mm?"

I smacked his hand as he reached over to undo the red tinsel. "How badly did your tattoos hurt?"

He scowled, but grabbed a candy cane from the pile. "Not much really, just depends on where you get it..." he paused and glanced at me from the corner of his eye. "Why? You planning on getting one?"

I shrugged. "It didn't seem like a bad idea. Just a little one on the wrist."

He turned his back to me, lifting his bottle of water and taking a sip. "It might hurt a bit, but it wouldn't be unbearable."

I nodded. I was turning eighteen in nine days, and since the day was never one I truly enjoyed, I thought why not do something to actually be excited for. It would have to wait until I got back from Grandma Jacky's since I was still seventeen, but it would be done.

"What do you plan on getting, kid?" Ryland interrupted my train of thought, nodding down at me.

I thought about it, twiddling with the stocking in my hand. I didn't want a massive tattoo, but I wanted simple, yet meaningful.

"A butterfly," I responded. "I want a butterfly."

Because, for the first time in my life, I was free. I was content on my life. I was genuinely happy; a butterfly, being so tragically beautiful and able to take flight any time to explore this world. It was the closest thing I could think of.

I could see Ryland piece it together in his hand. He said nothing, but his eyes softened as he nodded his head. A small smile danced across his lips as he placed a candy cane on the tree.

"You know, I haven't been around much because of work and school, but I'm proud of you, kid," he said, his voice growing softer by the word. "I know you've gotten new, good friends, and maybe even a boyfriend for all I know, but still. This is all you, kid. I'm proud you were able to grow into a confident young woman."