4 - Decisions, Decisions

Tuesday afternoon and my meeting with Harry comes around a lot quicker than I anticipated. I haven't really prepared much for this meeting, to be frank, I have nothing new to tell Harry, so I have no idea how today is going to go. I'm just trying my very best to not screw this up, I know how important this case could be to my career.

At 2 pm on the dot, my assistant Alana knocks on my door, letting me know that Harry has arrived and I ask her to show him in.

I stand as my door opens for the second time, and shake Harry's hand as he enters. Harry is wearing his trademark skinny jeans and brown Chelsea boots with a grey Harley Davidson t-shirt, layered under a black shirt which is completely unbuttoned. I can't help but compare myself to the handsome man in my office, I'm just wearing maroon high wasted, bootleg trousers with a white shirt and court heels. I feel very dull compared to him.

"Mr Styles, lovely to see you again," I comment

"Just Harry is fine," He responds, and I nod and gesture for him to take a seat in the same chair he was sitting in a few days ago.

"Okay, so since the last time I saw you, I've managed to put in an application to get the case tried in a UK Court rather than an American Court. You're trying to sue her for an event that occurred in the US, which means that you'd normally have to lodge an application with the courts over there, but since I've put this application in, we should be able to get the trial moved as it is more suitable to you and your counsel," I explain.

Harry doesn't say anything, so I ask if what I just said made sense.

"It makes sense. I'm just unsure if I want to go through with it," He responds, and I'm shocked. He seemed so sure last week, but this is something that happens all the time, especially with sexual assault and rape cases, and it can be tough to help the client through as you can't be seen as trying to sway them into a decision, they need to make it on their own.

"Is this why you wanted to see me today?" I question and Harry nods. I take a deep breath, and before answering, so I can sort out exactly what I want to say before I open my mouth.

"Look, at the end of the day Harry it's up to you. If you don't feel comfortable pursuing this case, that's totally fine, but if you're just a bit scared or unsure of anything and that's causing you doubt, please tell me because I might be able to explain things to you a bit more so that this doubt disappears."

Harry looks down at his hands that are clasped neatly in his lap for a few moments, then looks back at me.

"I'm scared," He begins, then stops, obviously feeling unsure. I decided to get up from the opposite side of the desk and take a seat in the chair next to him. Most people have a perception of lawyers that isn't pleasant, and sitting behind a humongous, wooden desk staring down at your client can be intimidating for some people, so I've found that putting myself on their level really helps the client to trust me.