January 2, 1998

"Things have changed." Grifford led David, and Karen down the rough gravel path into the quarry, the morning's light, muted by gray clouds.

Rain fell in light sprinkles.

"What is this? Where are we?" David's voice was shaken.

"Peace, Goodm-" Grifford caught himself. "Peace, David Walker." Grifford, despite his frail stature, raised a gloved fist with authority. "The fear you're feeling is not true fear. We all suffer it the first time."

"The first time?"

"This is not the first time a Grifford, and a Walker have descended into this awful hole."

Karen hurried to David's side, and reached for his hand, lacing her fingers with his own. "Awful hole?"

"An error of The Order. One we hope to correct... but an honor for young members of our kind, all the same."

"An honor?" David shivered.

"Of course. This honor is all mine. Two Walkers, now. The last time someone of your line was here, it my your father."

"Your honor." Karen started, and paused. "What has this to do with last night?"

"Patience, Karen. All will be revealed."

They continued down the path, until they reached a point where the quarry flooded by long years of rain. The water, rippling on its surface from the light rainfall, reflected still the adit to the quarry.

"Do we swim?"

"Nonsense, Karen. There is unpleasant things that lurk beneath the surface." Grifford reached into his coat pocket, and produced a black cellular flip phone.

"Is there a way to drain this?"

Grifford shook his head. "Officially, this quarry was supposed to be filled. The Order in all its benevolence would offer the quarry as a recreational area. Fishing. Swimming. Burying the reality you are next to witness."

David and Karen exchanged glasses and watched Grifford dialing.

"Three, and be fast. Deus vult." Grifford spoke in a quick, hushed voice, and folded the phone shut. He replaced it in his pocket.

David stood with Karen, still holding one another's hands. They exchanged looks once more.

From the adit, a lone figure appeared, and behind her, a small boat trailer with a beat up looking aluminum row boat. She pulled it to the ledge of the adit, and slid the row boat from it and into the water.

"Your honor, who is that?" David's voice, no longer unsteady, broke the silence with a new tone of concern

Grifford stared forward, and did not turn his head as he spoke. "This is Sandra Sevilla, or at least it used to be. Some while back, before you were born, she had a run in with a pale marbled beauty who had a penchant for blood."

"...but what is she doing here?"

"Serving The Order in her only useful capacity. A guardian of the quarry, and the answer to disposal."

"What is to stop her from leaving the quarry?"

"She'll be hunted like the monster she is."

"If she's like Crimson, can't she hear us?"

Grifford nodded. "She most certainly can. I certainly hope she did. A reminder, if nothing else."

From the adit, Sandra climbed into the rowboat with ease, and seated herself in the center. Sandra retrieved the paddles, and set them along the center thwart, guiding them into the rowlock, and I to the water.