October 18, 1993

7:00PM

Gerald stood behind Cameron as they waited for Grifford. Gerald said nothing, asked nothing. Cameron completed his Advanced Training. He was, at least in the eyes of the inquisition, a man.

Grifford entered, and Cameron took a knee. Gerald raised an eyebrow. Grifford continued past him, and say at his desk. "Someone took his studies in Advanced Training to heart. Rise, Cameron. Old traditions like this were folly for arrogant men who wanted to be kings."

Cameron rose, reached into his jacket pocket, and pulled the black faceted crystal from it. He threw the crystal and it's simple cord onto Grifford's desk.

Silence hung thick in the air. Grifford picked the shard up and held it in his gloved hand. "Where did you get this?"

"Gina and I were near the Prism Falls. She was attacked. A witch."

"How fortunate you were there. Gina, the Mexican girl you used to sew oats."

"Yes. Gina Guerrero."

"Was she able to defend herself?"

"I helped."

"...but could she defend herself? I've looked into your Gina Guerrero. She attends a dojo three days a week, and from what I ascertained, she's nigh unbeatable."

"She lacks the rites and blessings. She fought, but needed my help."

"...and now you want her admitted into our ranks, fighting alongside you, and..?"

Cameron nodded, calm, and cool. His palms were sweating, and he was thankful he was wearing gloves. "Yes. I want you to reconsider Suheila. There has to be someone else worthier for her talents."

"You want to marry this girl, this Gina Guerrero."

"I want to marry her. If I have to marry anyone."

"Granted."

Cameron could not hide his surprise. Neither could Gerald. "What?"

"In unison, no less." Grifford laughed warmly, a genuine, throaty laugh. "Well. There is one matter. You're being given a great authority, Cameron Dean. A promotion, as it were. Your father is busy with our affairs in the North of Driftwood. You, bravely fighting to fend off a deadly threat for a potential hunter is no small task. Your first kill, without even a thought to yourself."

Cameron nodded. "I am humbled."

"It is my honor. Of course, if this goodie Gina Guerrero is unwilling to acquiesce, you'll be without. Then would you consider someone else? Someone else worthy of your new station?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then we have an accord." Grifford extended a black gloved hand. Cameron shook it, but Grifford held his hand tight. "There is one more thing. Suheila, come in please."

The heavy doors opened slowly, and Suheila squeezed in, the doors shutting behind her. Her eyes were brimming, and tears spilled onto her cheeks. "Never, ever in the stories of you, did I ever hear you a liar."

"Su, I wanted to try, I -"

"I followed you two, Cameron! I followed you to the river, saw you pull up that poor girl's body. I saw you beat Gina into the ground. I saw you two kissing."

Tension filled the air. Cameron looked between Gerald Dean, the smiling Judge Grifford, and back to Suheila.

"That will be all, Suheila."