Chapter 8

A/n   Finals week starts tomorrow so I'm posting this weeks chapters early. Good luck to everyone finishing up another semester! I hope you enjoy this one!

-Belle

***

     Scott won his fight. Mitch couldn't have been buzzing with more excited energy if he tried. The cage and the lights and the cameras made everything feel so much more professional than just the ring. The room was crazy with yelling and screaming the whole time, and Mitch was a little ashamed to admit that he wasn't really focusing on Scott as he was just people watching around the octagon.

     Manny, his opponent, was really good. Mitch could tell that his skill level was higher than any of the scrimmages Scott had in the past month and figured the fights were only going to get harder from here on out.

     Mitch followed the group back into the back and the cooldown and examination went mostly just like all the other times. He stayed quiet while Scott answered Jackson's simple questions and Avi's continuous string of jumbled words and information. Mitch wasn't listening just as much as he could see Scott wasn't. He sat wiping a cool wet towel over Scott's knuckles. When he deemed them clean enough, he leaned forward to wipe at the blood under Scott's nose.

     Scott looked up at him with hooded lids, his body obviously spent and tired and Mitch smiled softly. "Good job, Scotty."

     Scott smiled under the towel then his eyes widened and focused behind him. Mitch turned as he sat up. His heart rate spiked at the sight.

     "Dad, what are you doing here?" Scott was surprised to be seeing him.

     Scott stood up from the bench and Mitch stayed still, watching as they formally shook hands. Connie hugged him. "Hi, son."

     "Came to watch my son fight. Good job out there."

     Rick Hoying was a lot more intimidating in person than in pictures. All Mitch knew about him was that he fought when he was younger and had gotten Scott into it. He wasn't sure what he was doing nowadays.

     Connie sounded so proud of him. "You did great, sweetie."

     "Thank you." Scott looked between them. "How is Matt doing?"

     Mitch wondered who that was, but didn't get to listen to the conversation as Connie waved him over. He dropped the towel, made sure he didn't have any blood on his hands and walked into her embrace. He had always really liked her, she was very warm and inviting.

     "Rick, honey." She interrupted her husband. "This is Dr. Mitch Grassi. He is new on Scott's medical team."

     "Right, Rick Hoying." He introduced himself. Mitch shook the man's hand and stepped a little towards Scott. "Everyone has been calling you the lucky charm."

     Mitch's face twitched at that, a nervous laughter bubbling out of him. "What? No, I'm just a chiropractor." He felt stupid after he said it like it could explain why he wasn't.

     "But Scott's been winning since you've been around. That's lucky." Rick offered. A much smarter explanation than Mitch's.

    It felt like a strange compliment, but Mitch didn't necessarily like it. "No, that's all Scott. He has been working really hard for this, earned his win himself."

     Rick looked surprised at this answer. "Interesting." He looked back over at Scott. "I assume you tested clean if you're here. I would hope you tested legally."

     Mitch's wind was knocked out of him at Scott's father bringing his addiction up so blatant and nonchalant like it wasn't a big deal. He looked up at Scott, watched the man squint his eyes and cross his arms defensively.