Chapter fourteen

Gustave's point of view

"Erik, I know that you don't like Raoul.. did something happen to cause that?"
He looked at me for a moment moment.
"Have you.. have you ever felt something about someone? Where you'd do anything for them and you want to make them happy? Recently I have come to terms with that feeling..."
"I think that feeling is love Erik." I said softly.
He nodded softly before he continued speaking.
"She's beautiful and funny, kind I can't really describe her. But she is perfect in my eyes.."
I knew who he was talking about.
"And she has Raoul.." he sighed "and I can't stay here and watch the two of them.. I can't do it.."
"You love her don't you Erik?" I asked him.
He nodded almost shyly.
"Yes. But I can't stay anymore and watch her and Raoul.."
"I understand Erik."
"I can't stay and let the person I love break my heart."
I knew that this must have been hard for him. I didn't really want him to go, but I knew that he would.
"Erik, you are always welcome in my house. Don't forget that."
"I won't. You've been nothing but kind to me and I can't express how grateful I am."
"Be safe Erik."
"I will Gustave. Thank you." He nodded softly.
I wondered what Erik's life would be like now he was leaving. I only hoped he would do nothing reckless and somehow end up in a position like he was in when I found him.
"Erik I want you to have this." I said taking a picture of Christine out of my wallet and handing it to him.
"Gustave.."
"Yes?"
"You can't ever tell her. She can't know.."
"I understand Erik."
"Goodbye Gustave."
"Goodbye Erik."
And just like that, he was gone.