Chapter two

Erik's mothers point of view:

When I returned to my home I found my friend Marie waiting in the living room for me.
"Well? How did it go?!" She asked in anticipation.
To be honest I didn't want to talk to her, or anyone. I wanted some nice quiet time that I could spend with my wonderful son. I could tell that doctor thought of him as dirt but I on the other hand thought he was the most precious little boy who needed his mother's love. Which was exactly what I was going to give him. To me he looked so sweet in his little white onesie. But to others because of his face, he would not.
Marie jumped off the couch and bolted to my side. It didn't take long for her to gasp.
"What is that?"
"That is my son." I told her rather coldly
"What's wrong with him?"
"Nothing is wrong with him! He's just different."
She went very quiet.
"What did you name him?" She asked in a whisper
"Erik. I named him Erik."
She nodded softly going quiet again. I could tell she wasn't too fond of Erik's face. But Erik was my son and I loved him.
"I think you should wrap him up warm." She finally spoke up "It's getting cold."
"Yes.. would you mind fetching me a blanket for him? You know where all the baby things are."
She went upstairs and returned quicker than I thought she would with a little blue blanket.
I gently wrapped him into it and he looked at me before closing his tiny blue eyes. I smiled at my newborn son.
"You can hold him when he wakes up if you'd like to." I told Marie. I knew she would want to because she always talked about becoming a mother, she just hadn't found the right man yet.
"Thank you. I would like that." She smiled.
I went up the stairs to my bedroom where Erik's crib was and gently put him into it.
"Sleep well my son." I smiled and gave him a gentle kiss. "Mama will be here when you wake darling. Mama will always be here for you Erik."
I knew that somehow I would have to protect him from the cruel words of others. From the people like the doctor who despised him and thought of him as a freak because of his face. I sat with him and pondered over my thoughts and while Erik slept peacefully in his crib, I sat and sewed him a little half mask that he would need to wear when ever he was around people who would call him cruel names, which sadly was probably everyone outside his little family. I vowed to myself that I would never make Erik wear his mask in his own home, unless of course someone came to visit. I accepted his face and I loved him. He was my son, my world now, and I couldn't imagine not loving him.