I knew that in matter of moments, this crazy woman is going to kill me. She grinned menacingly "Wrong move, sweetheart." The smell of alcohol from her mouth invades my nostrils. I squint my eyes and mouth shut. Goddamn it. I wanted to puke on her face. I even stopped breathing for a few seconds due to her disgusting breath.

She asks me again, "Where is it?"

"The Listerine's on the kitchen." I tittered as I kicked her up in the stomach. I managed to let out a loud "Run!" to my younger brother.

As if everything slowed down after that. I never thought that the sound of his shoes hitting the wooden floors as he runs away would make me feel like it's the most satisfying thing that I've ever heard.

As those words left my lips, I felt a sharp pain on my side. I lost composure and fell to the floor. I pushed pressure to my side to prevent more thick blood gushing out. As if one big knife in my body wasn't enough for this devil, she pinned me down, started slashing and stabbing my skin even more.

"You mother fucking bitch. Shitty whore!"

I've never even kissed or held hands with anyone in my life. Hell, the idea of sharing the same bed and making love scares me.

Suddenly I hear faint sirens outside. Cars arriving, wheels screeching the pavement out front. I hear men and the loud thuds of their footsteps.

"Police!" Some officer yelled. I laughed a little. Of course, the classic profession that can either be on time or too late. "Stephanie Rias. We got the whole house surrounded. There's nowhere else to run!" he adds, shouting through a megaphone.

The woman gets off me, almost losing her balance. She drops the knife and looks at me wickedly, "Look at what you've made me do."

"Rias, we got you cornered! Let the girl go!" the officer yelled again.

Everything was getting blurry. I could feel my heart beat slowing down. Is this how my life ends? Junk foods, a horror movie, and stab wounds? Did my brother get to a safe place? I guess ending it this way isn't so bad if he did.

I got weaker, and weaker; then the pain started to fade as I closed my eyes shut, forever.

But I didn't close my eyes forever.

I found myself standing. How can this be? I can breathe properly, and why do I feel lighter?

I turned my vision below, and I see myself on the floor. I screamed. Wait! My dead body in front of me, but how? I no longer feel the immense pain. I don't feel anything at all.

I looked at myself on a hanged mirror. Somehow I looked like I wasn't hurt in the first place, or dead. But then, I looked at the bloody body lying in front of me.

I was really confused. "How?" kept repeating in my head.

I came back to my senses when I heard my killer scream at the top of her lungs. I got angry and had the urge to tackle her, but my body only went through.

Holy shi-

The door bursts open and police men came rushing inside. The woman got down to her knees, laughing like a maniac. "I had to do it" she muttered.

I heard my family shouting my name, crying. I ran outside immediately. My mother was bawling out and fell down to her knees. My brother Cole and dad holding unto her. Seeing them like this was painful.

I walked back inside. I was already surrounded by paramedics. They checked my pulse, but it was no brainer that I was clearly gone just by looking at the blood I've lost.

"Sir..." The guy calls probably the chief officer. He shakes his head slowly, as if informing him that it's too late. He places my wrist gently to the floor.

He sighed in frustration. "Oh, Kris.." I looked at him before realizing it was Officer Wing. He and my dad were old college friends. He was like an uncle to my brother and I when we were younger.

The house was wrapped with "Strictly no entry" tapes.

Officer Wing turns to my murderer. "For what? A 'box' from years ago?" He scoffed.

"It's here!" The woman snarls.

"It's fanfiction, Steph." He retorted. "Taking an innocent life so easily like that. I'll make sure you'll never see sunlight again after this."

The other officers took the cuffed woman away. Officer Wing walks towards my lifeless body.

"This is the third house. She's taking lives like a grim reaper looking for something that doesn't exist."

He knelt down. He started to tear up a little. "I'm sorry she also took yours."

He takes his cap off, "I hope you find peace from all of these, wherever you are."

How?

My parents are out there blaming themselves, and probably wishing they never left. Asking the same question, "Why did this happen?"

I want to hold their hands and say "I'm alright, and none of these are your fault. It's one of those moments in life we can't control." However, my hands just goes through. My voice can't be heard. It's sinking to me more, what I am now; a lost spirit.

After I died, I didn't exactly rest in peace.

I remembered what my grandmother said before, "Spirits are those who wanders forever and can never find peace unless their death finds justice."

Surely I can't be seeking justice now. My killer has been caught.

I never believed in the afterlife, and here I am living as one. Am I unsatisfied? Are there things I still have to do? If so, what are they?

Three days later, my family organized a funeral. A couple relatives and close friends came. My mum fainted at the sight of my coffin being lowered.

After my burial, they all gently placed sunflowers on top of my grave before leaving. I love sunflowers, but seeing that I only got them after my death, was somehow heartbreaking. I've never received bouquets of flowers while I was still alive.

My family stayed a bit longer before going home as well.

I walked towards my grave stone.

"Here lies Kris Leighton,

November 29, 1994 - July 23, 2013.

A great daughter and sister. Always loved."

Oh, Kris. What happens now?

-=================-
Edited on July 28, 2022
-=================-

🌻