One Love for One Life

"I would rather die than living on my own" That was the first thing that came to Geraldine's mind.

Geraldine ran to the stable and she found Caroline's horse was missing. She picked up the rope still thinking where Caroline had gone.

"Geraldine!" a man said loudly. Geraldine turned around. She was so shocked.

"SIR JOHN!" She ran towards him. "You've got to fine Milady! She's missing." There was not a moment she wanted to know how John came back and survived.

"What?"

"Milady..." Geraldine panted.

"Calm down, Geraldine. What did she last tell you?"

"Milady...she told me to buy parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme..." Meanwhile, a horse was running towards them.

"Whoa! Easy, easy" John tried to calm the horse. "Oh no! That's Caroline's horse"

"What should we do, Sir? Would Milady..." Geraldine couldn't finish the sentence. John hopped on the horse.

"I think I know where she goes. I must bring her back. Go buddy! Show me where you took Caroline"

Although John had the idea on where Caroline went, he stopped by his house. It was like he felt Caroline's sorrow at his house. But all he saw was her cloak and white roses. John thought of his promise. "We will get married in that church" He didn't think of anything. He just rushed as fast as he could.

At this moment, he realised that everyone thought he was dead, including Caroline. He sensed something he had to be in the church as soon as possible to stop something. Twenty years of waiting, two years of war...he wasn't willing to be parted again. If they had to be parted, the war should be the last time they ever parted. The only wish on John's mind was to be with Caroline for the rest of his life.

Caroline picked up a chalice and got the holy water. "Have you decided your path? Once you drink this, death is inevitable." She looked at the chalice and took a deep breath.

"I'll be with you in a moment, John. Please wait for me" She put the chalice near to her mouth.

"Caroline!" Her lips had already touched the chalice. Caroline couldn't believe her ears. The voice sounded so familiar. Her eyes were not hollow anymore. Her soul was back.

"John?" She put down the chalice and turned around. A man who was in the same white costume with the most familiar face appeared in front of her again. Staring at John for a moment to make sure the person in front of her was the love she had been waiting for. "John!" She ran towards John and gave him a tight hug. "Oh my god" Caroline couldn't believe her eyes. She pulled back and touched his face in order to feel his presence.

"You're back!" they hugged again. Caroline started crying. It was so lucky that John appeared at the right moment. He stopped Caroline from killing herself. If he was a second late, Caroline could have been dead in front of him. "I thought you were dead. I received a letter about your death. I couldn't find my way. I was about to..."

"I'm so much alive now. I remember I've made a promise to you. I'd come back" This time John brought Caroline closer. "Ouch" he mumbled and put his on his stomach.

"What's wrong?"

"The wounds still hurt." Caroline stared at him blankly. "Well, I almost died at the battlefield. I got hit with three arrows two months ago. The enemy actually got me." Caroline got scared when she heard the fact. "I thought of you the moment before I fainted. The last thing I saw was the enemy got your handkerchief then they sent me somewhere else. When I woke, I was saved. You saved me, Caroline."

"Really? But you're hurt"

"I will be recovered in a few more weeks. I promise I won't leave you again." Caroline put her hand on his chest hoping he would feel better. "Don't worry...Shall I take you home? Sir and Madam Claire are so worried about you." The Lady turned around. She wasn't willing to go home.

"Are they really?"

"I was at your house when Geraldine told me you were missing. Your parents were worried, especially Madame Claire." Caroline nodded. John took her hand and led her home while riding the horse.

It didn't take them too long to go back. Caroline was actually so simple. All she wanted was staying with John for the rest of her life.

"Milady is back!" Geraldine yelled when she saw Caroline and John from far away to alert the parents. "Milady, you scared me to death. You were missing when I came back from the fair. I thought you...I don't want to lose my only family, not ever again."

"I did...I was just so scared to lose any one of you so I made the worst decision." Caroline ensured her maid, her best friend in life.

" Caroline ensured her maid, her best friend in life