9

Chapter 9- Outside

Months later...

"Lucy Heartfilia?" A voice rang out throughout the hall. Lucy sat on the floor with her out grown gown and no shoes.

"I am her." She said in a soft voice.

Light turned on suddenly making Lucy close her eyes and slightly hiss. When she heard footsteps in the hallway she wished for it to be Natsu, but her birthday was last week so of course the lawyers would want to meet with her a soon as she turned eighteen.

"Please come with me so we may buy you clothes that actually fits." A woman with fiery red hair said. She reached her hand between the bars, "I am Erza Scarlet, your family attorney."

Lucy widen her eyes slightly in confusion, "I didn't know my family had an attorney."

"Maybe your parents would have told you as you gotten older, sadly they can't anymore."

Lucy hummed with a nod.

"So I'll get a guard to unlock this...prison cell as I see it, and get you to a more comfortable room." Erza pulled out her phone and took a picture, "in court I'll mention the abuse you deal with here. They don't even give you actual clothing that fits, you reek of sweat, sleeping so close to the toilet couldn't be okay, there's no windows so no fresh air, and no shoes, I'd even say they don't give you proper undergarments."

Lucy shrugged, "I've been living like this since I was nine." Lucy replied. "It was hard to become accustomed to but I made it work."

Erza looked around the cell to mention more things, "is that your food?" She questioned while pointing at a steel tray, "when did they give you that?"

"This morning." Lucy asked confused, "why?"

"That bread is moldy, the water seems cloudy, and the fork is broken."

Lucy shrugged, "I just never eat what they give me, if I'm too undernourished they feed me through a tube."

Erza shook her head violently, "I promise I'll try my best to get you outta here and get you that fortune."

"Fortune?"

Erza stuffed her phone back into her purse, then she moved a few items trying to find something, "yes fortune, did you not know?"

Lucy shook her head, "no I didn't."

Finally Erza found what she was looking for, it was a small pink notebook. She opened it and flipped through pages. Once she found it she began reading out loud, "the Heartfilia parents have passed down their grand fortune in half's for their children."

"Really?" Lucy knew her family was good on money but not that good to have a fortune to be considered grand.

"Yes really, but since your siblings died you get all the money...that is if you don't get served the death penalty. But if you get sentenced you could pay for it, hell you could practically buy the entire jail!"

Soon enough a guard came into the picture, he unlocked the cell and allowed Lucy to step out like any other time, but instead of allowing her to walk like she'd normally do to go to the Large room she was given handcuffs and ordered to follow Erza.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked.

"To a tailor with plenty of journalists, they need to see you out and about acting like a normal young adult."

"I'm not a normal young adult." Lucy stated watching Erza sign her name. "And I don't want to be questioned at this moment."

Erza continued signing, "no journalist are gonna ask you questions, since you aren't behind bars they're gonna be too afraid to speak to you in person, they'll be outside most likely. And the only questions you are gonna receive will be from me or the tailor."

Lucy nodded and sighed in relief, "Okay."

They walked and walked down a hallway that led to outside. Lucy hasn't been through this hallway since she first arrived and she didn't like it.

It reminded her of the time she killed her family and got caught the next day with blood on her hands and cuddling next to her mother's face. She remembers how much she thrashed around not wanting to get stuffed into a cell, how much she cried when they forced pills down her throat and needles into her small child body. And they were okay with harming and torturing a child like her because she was a murderer. The only delight she felt was Natsu coming to visit her, the older she got the needles and pills felt like routine, but Natsu was always there. He was the only one to make her laugh.

Erza opened the door. It was bright outside and Lucy had to shut her eyes close from the glaring sun. The hospital lights were dim and couldn't be compared to the grand sunlight.

It been years since she felt the warmth of the sun, or the cold from snow, or the breeze from wind. She doesn't remember what the ocean smells like, or cut grass. She doesn't remember the feeling of sunburns or hurting oneself accidentally, she only remembers the gentle stabbing of needles and the swallowing of pills.

As they walked she could feel the hot road below her. She still didn't have shoes and she could feel it burning her feet as she walked.

"Lucy?" She heard Natsu's voice questioned behind her. Lucy turned her head to see a confused Natsu. "Where are you going?"

"With my lawyer." Lucy simply said, "but I'll come back later, sorry."

Natsu nodded, he held a bag in his hand. Lucy could smell it, it was food. Her stomach grumbled, "we should also get you some food." Erza mumbled while clicking a button on her keys.

Lucy nodded.

"Okay."