Chapter 31: Tormented Wolf | Asphalt Carparks

Start from the beginning

"Amen," we repeated.

Not long after that, a few students and teachers abruptly burst into tears, looking visibly shaken.

I raise my head and opened my eyes, blinking away the moisture that soaked my eyelashes and when my eyes finally refocused on the spot where Mr Green had been, my heart sinks even more seeing the now empty spot.

Where did he go..?

First Annie and now Mr Green.

In the distance, I see the flash of the glittering gold dress of a woman running down the path towards the carpark.
"Jasper!" Lea yelled in the distance as she chased him down. It was barely audible from where I was over the bustle of distraught people suddenly, but I heard it nonetheless.  

The knots in my stomach continued to twist as questions of what exactly was happening, swirled in my thoughts.  
Finally, after pushing my way through, I ran after them as fast as I could with the burden of my worries, constantly eating away at me, carrying my feet all the way there. 

-

When I arrived down the grassy embankment of the carpark, shaking and out of breath, did I notice the slight shift in the mood

When I arrived down the grassy embankment of the carpark, shaking and out of breath, did I notice the slight shift in the mood. The sharp air in my intake was cold, piercing into my lungs making me feel only be able to take in half the amount of air at a time. And just when there was barely any time to collect myself, a sudden wretched thunder of a voice echoed from across the carpark, scaring the life out of me. 

"WHAT THE FUCK!

Jasper's  eyes glowed under the yellow street lights inhumanely. "DID YOU KNOW?!" He roars towards Lea who had her back turned towards me.  Without warning he grabs onto his head, bends over and screams the most dreadful howl that echos along the road. I staggered back from his violent outburst, suddenly feeling very frightened. With the hairs at the back of my neck standing on its end, I stared at the strange man in front of me, almost wondering if I'd followed the wrong person down here.

Was this really him? I thought as I watched him from where I stood. Mr Green's face was carved into the most harrowing and empty look I'd ever seen, and it was a side of him I'd never seen before... He looked unrecognizable. Only his unmistakable tall frame and wide shoulders gave away the clue. The rest of him though, his expression, body language, voice... it was someone else. 

Mr Green paced around the lot, the outline of his form reminded me of a sort of crazed tormented black wolf. Growling, drooling and shaking devilishly as he continued to mutter out profanities, slurring them together in a strange voice as he kept repeating them over and over. 

Goosebumps littered my body.
I took a slow step backwards but my eyes couldn't leave the scene. I couldn't even blink. I'd never seen anything like this, as if somebody's nightmare was coming to life right in front of me. 

I wasn't sure if he was conscious of what he was doing at the moment because even I wasn't sure myself, all I know is that it was making me terrified that he could be this way, behaving like, what I can only describe was a soulless demon, plotting to destroy the world whilst trapped in the vault of his own crazed mind. 

Not to mention the way darkness seemed to be escape from his body and seep onto the ground following his footsteps seemed like it was the most natural thing in the world, as if the blackness had always belong to him. It was carved into his name, his existence and etched deep into his being.

Was this the same darkness I'd always felt since the moment I met him? The mystery and secrecy I had been unable to touch, yet had always suspected of it's presence. Only now I had proof of it, as it finally manifested into the scene in front of me that was so unsettling that it shook me to the core.

He screams again. And I finally got it.
This had always been Jasper, a part of him at least. The darkness, the bitterness, the hollowness. But one thing I didn't know was, why.