Chapter 27: Purple Flowers in Ashen Moonlight

~~Purple Flower

___~❤︎~❤︎~❤︎~___

C h a p t e r    T w e n t y   S e v e n 

I stood under the wing of my mother at the porch of his front entrance.

"Yeah, ever since Tom's moved to take care of Emily after her car accident a month ago, dear Rosie's been having dinner alone at home while me and Bills is at the restaurant."

I groaned and mumbled out that it wasn't a big deal. Mr Green chuckled out the door while leaning attractively against the door frame.

Mum held me back at an arms reach and looked lovingly at her daughter, drawing an unwanted attention towards me. I began to feel self conscious under the observing eye of the both of them, even more so my teacher as I instinctively watched out for his reaction. He was smiling back between the two of us as I struggled out of Mum's smother.

"So who knows what mischief she gets up to. I mean look at those dark bags under her eyes. Probably watching internet videos on her phone instead of sleeping." She tuts, grabbing my cheeks turning them side to side to inspect my face while I frowned annoyingly.

"Argh, Mum... really?" I wriggled out of her hands. "I don't get up to mischief at all and come on, it's almost finals week. I wasn't watching that many videos."

She shakes her head disapprovingly, not believing a lick of my words but was tender with her words. "Okay sure pumpkin, well that's it. You two enjoy the pie, I'd better get to work now and I'll be back to pick you up after nine okay? Be good."

I nodded my head begrudgingly and grumbled out a yes, secretly counting down the seconds until she left.

"Thanks again for the dish Carol, I honestly can't wait to dig in. It's plenty enough to make up for looking after this troubled one." He jokes at me, and I shoot him a deathly glare as I strut past into the house and Mum retreats back to her car.

After waving to her as she drives off, Mr Green shuts the door gently and turns to me and just stares. I pause with a puzzled look on my face, "What?"

"Nothing." He smiles in amusement and attempts to mess my hair up with his hands. I duck away just in time as a few whiskers of my hair manages to just slips through his grasp.

"You two are the same, so annoying." I bark at him before walking away.
But before I could take so much as a step, Mr Green covers the distance between us in a flash  and suddenly he was right in front of my eyes, prowling with much likeness to a black jaguar pouncing.

"Say what now? Same, how?" He asks, taking my cheeks and gripping them between his large hand and turning my face side to side, exactly like Mum had. I feel my face flush immediately.

He arches an eyebrow  seeing my displeasure and scowl. His fierce blue eyes were gleaming and piercing me at me with enough playfulness that eventually I couldn't help but break into a grin. Whatever.
This only amplified his enjoyment in torturing me as his stupid confident smirk appeared, and I found myself falling in deeper into his charm.

His warm hands pressed lightly against my face brought about such a sense of security and belonging that it just felt so right. Though I was melting under his touch, I still knew I was on borrowed time, at least until we make it clear where we stood.

I fought with every fibre of my being to not succumbed to his allure completely. Could I let him in even a little bit? Admire him from afar and just enjoy his attention and occasional subtle caresses like right now? I wasn't doing anything back. 
As selfish as it sounded, there was no way I was getting over him anyway, so I might as well savour these moments while it lasts, even if it costs me my heart in the end – is something I that I have been contemplating very hard lately, but haven't found the actual guts to do. I haven't fallen entirely yet.