Chapter 2

After we picked out Caleb's handsome- if I do say so myself- outfit, we ate his mother's fabulous creation: lasagna. My parents are always so busy, I rarely get home-cooked meals even when I eat at home.

"Mmm," I moan. Everyone laughs as my cheeks get red. This happens almost every night. It's almost like they've never seen a girl enjoy her food!

"Are you almost done?" Caleb asks me anxiously, practically already out of his seat. He loves my house, and he's excited to go through my new clothes so we can pick my outfit for tomorrow night. Being a very masculine guy, it's a bit strange, but I've never questioned it.

"Um," I say hesitantly. "I guess so." I stare sadly at the half-eaten plate of lasagna Susie takes from me. What a waste.

"Don't worry," Carolyn whispers in my ear as she passes by to help her mom take the dishes into the kitchen. "We'll wrap it up for you."

"Well, hurry up," Caleb says to his younger sister. "I'm tryna get out of here."

"Why the rush, little bro?" Jack asks innocently.

"He wants Callie all to himself, I guess," Jake offers.

I giggle at their banter. It seems more like a tradition than mocking. Honestly, what would we do without their narration?

"Here you go, Callie, dear," Susie says sweetly as she hands me a plastic container full to the brim with lasagna. "Tell your parents that we'd like them to come over Saturday for bingo."

Bingo. The thought of a bunch of middle-aged parents sitting in the Prentices' living room playing bingo make me shiver. I thought bingo was for senior citizens. Are they getting old?

"Will do, Susie. Bye everyone! See you tomorrow," I manage to get out as Caleb pulls me through the garage door. He seems even more in a rush than usual.

Before I can even ask about that, he's rummaging through the keys on the shelf against the back wall. "Car or truck?" He asks wickedly. It's an ongoing, and exhausting, joke between us because I once hesitated about which automobile to get into.

"Truck," I say firmly, and hop into the passenger side of the small blue Chevy. I'm not playing this game again!

---

"What about this one?" Caleb asks, somehow sounding both defeated and hopeful. I guess I'm being pretty picky about what to wear to the party. It's not my fault! I'm suddenly feeling more self-conscious than usual about what I wear around him.

"It has a stain on it," I reply. "I think you need to learn some patience, mister."

"Why does it have a stain on it? Didn't you just get it?"

"It was there when I got it, and I just didn't notice it." Actually, the stain was makeup, but I didn't want him to know I've been wearing makeup. It's embarrassing to admit to him for some reason. I feel like he'd just know I was trying to look good for him.

"Whatever. So, everyone at school was talking about the party today. I heard a little rumor that has to do with you," he says, trying to sound innocent. He knows I hate rumors.

After a moment of silence, I roll my eyes. "Are you going to hold it above my head and make me jump for it?"

"Maybe." He has a death wish, I swear. I raise my eyebrows at him. He rolls his eyes and gives in. "Fine. I heard that Lucas asked his brother to schedule 7 Minutes in Heaven so he could kiss you without having to, like, make a move. What an idiot." He scoffs.

Lucas is either too lazy or thinks he's too good to plan his own parties, so he has his brother, Kenan, do it. Kenan's in college but oddly enough loves to plan high school parties. Caleb and I joke that he never really graduated. He's clearly kind of a weirdo but all the girls think he's cute.

"Doesn't he ever have, I don't know, tests to study for?" I ask exasperatedly.

"He probably does, doesn't seem like he cares. But, uh-" He pauses as he clears his throat. "What do you think about that rumor?"

Maybe I'm teaching but it sounds like he's hoping I'll say I don't want to kiss Lucas. Of course he doesn't want me to. Caleb's the only one who can kiss other people.

Am I jealous?

"I think it's sweet," I say, watching his face carefully. I think I saw his eye twitch. "Lucas likes me and he wants to kiss me, and he's trying to do it in a way that won't get your fist in his face." He doesn't turn to me, but I see him frowning.

I can tell that answer didn't make him happy, but I'll admit I'm a bit angry with him for being so hypocritical. Just because he's protective of me doesn't mean I've ever blocked girls from getting his attention. He's hooked up with plenty of girls before, and I never make him feel bad for it. Now, that idea makes me wanna throw things.

"Whatever," he says, knowing I would win an argument if he tried to start one. "What about this?" He says, holding up a new blouse I got with the ties at the end. It's my favorite shade of pink.

"It's perfect," I say, now feeling guilty for being egging him on. I know he only acts that way because he cares. And it would be a lie if I were to pretend I didn't care, too.

Just after finding a pair of bottoms to go with the top, I hear the oven timer go off downstairs. "Now let's go get some pie," I exclaim, glad the task of picking my outfit is over.

Caleb trails behind, less enthusiastic. I wonder if our conversation about Lucas is still on his mind. Now, though, I'm focused on a slice of apple goodness.