Chapter 1

"He's my best friend," I say, staring into the school's bathroom mirror. "I don't like him like that." Why does it sound like I'm trying to convince myself?

Because that wasn't how I had felt when Caleb grabbed my hand after I fell the other day. I was just being clumsy, and he was just being helpful, but for some reason it had meant something more to me. Something more than it ever had before... And from the look in Caleb's eyes, it had meant something to him, too.

We had held hands before, but best friends do that. It's not weird. Just because my best friend's a guy doesn't mean some things in our friendship are more strange, like spending the night at each other's houses. A guy spending the night at my house as just a friend isn't weird. Right?

The day after Caleb grabbed my hand was completely new for me. It felt awkward to be around him, which I'd never experienced with my lifelong best friend. Nothing else seemed different, though. Guys looked at him like they wanted to punch him in the face because he was walking with me, like every other day. Girls were giving him flirtatious grins and winks, nothing unusual there. But the tension between us was bizarre. The only time our friendship had felt this was was the day after he had seen my mother wash my underwear.

And now it's been two days and I can't seem to stop thinking about it, questioning why my stomach feels this way walking next to him. I wonder if he can tell how distracted I am. I hope he doesn't know why.

"Hey, Callie-Cat," a voice yells from down the hall, breaking my train of thought. Lucas.

Lucas is the most popular guy in the 11th grade, and it's always been obvious he likes me. But no guy that likes me would ever ask me out because of Caleb. Even though Caleb and I are just best friends, no one would ever think of getting between us. We go everywhere together, and he's very protective of me.

"Hey, Caleb," Lucas says breathlessly as he catches up to us. How polite of him to acknowledge Caleb, since he's never really liked him. My best friend nods his head in response.

"So, Callie," he starts, focusing back on me. "I'm having a party tomorrow night and was wondering if you'd like to come. You can bring a friend, of course. And by that, I mean you can bring Caleb."

"Umm," I say, shifting my eyes to Caleb and biting my lip. Friday nights are mine and Caleb's movie nights. It's kind of a tradition.

"We'll be there," Caleb answers, shaking his head at me. He always thinks my hesitation is funny.

"Okay." Lucas says, looking at me like it wasn't Caleb who spoke. "See you there." Lucas beams at me as he starts walking backwards down the hall the way he came. He bumps into a freshman girl who squeaks in response, and turns around to apologize.

"Why do you do that?" Caleb asks me as we continues our walk towards the classroom door. The tension has noticeably lessened between us  now.

"Do what?" I reply.

"Act like you're not sure if you can say yes. I don't decide where you go. Plus, I actually like his parties. He invites all the cute girls and good kissers."

I roll my eyes. Caleb doesn't even talk to those "cute girls" at parties, because he's too busy watching over me like a hawk. "Because I know you don't like him. Plus, I don't like breaking our plans without making sure you're okay with it."

"When have I ever been not okay with it?" Though he says it like a question, his tight jaw makes it seem more like a statement.

"Fine, I guess I won't be respectful of your opinion next time," I say sarcastically. He lightly body checks me as we walk in, making me smile and blush a bit. Since when does Caleb make me blush?

We've made it just in time, as the bell rings as we take our seats next to each other. History will drag as usual, but now I have something to look forward to. "I guess after school we'll have to pick out our outfits for tomorrow night," I whisper to him as the teacher starts talking. He nods and smiles, looking at me.

There I go blushing again!

-—-

Every night I go to Caleb's house for dinner and pick out his clothes for school the next day. Then he comes to mine for dessert and we pick out mine. And then he usually ends up spending the night.

"Hi, MiMi!" I shriek as soon as I walk into his house. Caleb has the cutest golden retriever. She responds with a slobbery kiss. I continue my baby talk to her.

"Callie McKernon, why are you in my house?" Caleb's mom, Susie, asks, just like every other day.

"To eat your food," I reply, just like every other day.

"Then come do your job!" she shouts, as if she's angry at me for not instantly running into the kitchen to grab the most recently baked goodie. Smells like cookies!

"Yes, ma'am," I reply with a mock salute when I see her. She's dressed in the usual concert t-shirt and jeans.

"Is that a girl I hear?" a voice from upstairs calls down.

"Why, yes, it is!" a mock-surprised sounding voice from behind the kitchen counter replies.

Jake and Jack are Caleb's annoying older twin brothers. They feel the need to make me feel awkward every single day.

"Why, it's our ugly brother's beautiful friend Callie!" Jake calls out as he walks into the kitchen and grabs a chocolate-chip cookie off the plate on the table.

"What a surprise," Jack bellows from his hiding spot from behind the counter. His attempts at stealing baked goods are banished thanks to his talkative personality.

"Callie!" a little voice screeches as the source knocks me over in a hug.

"Now Carolyn Grace, what did I say about skating in the house?" Susie exclaims. She must be kidding, as there's a sweet smile on her face as she watches her youngest sail through the kitchen.

"I can't seem to remember," Carolyn responds innocently as I help her back onto her feet.

"Well, we'll be in Caleb's room," I say after returning Carolyn's hug.

Not until now did I ever think much about that statement, and it seems like his family doesn't either. But the past few days, even though it's much like a routine for us, I've been hyper-aware of being alone in a room with him.

We're just picking out his clothes, though. We're just best friends. Right?

---

I am slowly going through this to make more edits and add some content. I'm sure that will need to be done more than once because these chapters are super short, I'm sorry!
But if you're into something longer and maybe a little more adult, and you like fantasy elements, check out my new story, 'Stick Season.'