Chapter 11

kinda short chapter :D

---

That conversation continued to not happen. Caleb avoided me all week. I snapped at everyone and stopped eating lunch. Instead, I would sit in the bathroom the whole period.

By Saturday, I knew I was going crazy. I needed to know if I was right.

I walked up his driveway. Last time I was here, Lucas kissed me. Then him and Caleb got in a fight... over me.

I hesitate at the door. If Caleb wasn't ignoring me, if this weren't his house, and if he was with me, he'd laugh. Or yell at me. Then he'd knock himself.

But I knock. I need answers. I need to know.

His mother answers the door. "Callie!" She cries. "It's been too long! Where've you been?"

"Here and there," I say nervously. She smiles.

"He's in his room."

I don't hear anything. Where's the rest of his family? I take off my shoes and walk up the stairs. Again, I hesitate at his door.

You may be thinking, 'What kind of mother send a girl to her son's room?' Susie isn't like that.

I knock. He opens the door and looks at me, unsurprised. Either he knew I was coming, he saw me, or he heard his mom yell my name. It doesn't matter.

"Hello," I say in a friendly tone with a casual smile. I don't feel very friendly, or casual. He doesn't say anything. I push past him into his room and sit down in the chair I've claimed. I always sit there.

He turns around and crosses his arms. I raise my eyebrow.

We stare at each other- him standing, me sitting. Then he finally speaks. "Is there a reason you're here?"

I frown. "Obviously."

"Well, get on with it," he insists. I purse my lips.

"Do you hate me?" I ask.

He chuckles darkly. "Of course not. I'm just upset with you."

"Why?" I ask.

His face turn angry. "Because you kissed Lucas in my house, then you don't apologize or anything! You've been flirting with him for years and insisted you didn't have feelings for him. You lied to me. And you're not paying attention."

"I don't have feelings for him," I say exasperatedly. "He kissed me. I kind of just stood there."

"Ha!" He yells. "Are you kidding me? You practically jumped on him."

"I did not," I shout angrily. "Don't exaggerate."

"Then don't lie," he says simply.

I'm breathing hard now. "I don't understand why you care! You've been so difficult lately!"

"Difficult?" He huffs. "I've been upset, like I said."

"Upset?" I ask. "Upset is what I've been. You've been distant and huffy." Huffy. What a funny word.

He thinks so too, but he doesn't smile. "You don't understand."

"Understand what?" I shout.

I walks towards me. "Understand how hard I've been trying. How I forgave you for puking on me when you ate too much cotton candy at the fair," he says. My cheeks redden. I'd almost forgotten all about that. "How I've been keeping all the stupid guys from making out with you every time you turn a corner. How hard I tried to make you feel better when you were in the hospital!"

I'm still confused. "You're my best friend. Of course you were trying to make me feel better."

He shouts in annoyance. "Oh my god! You're so oblivious!"

"Oblivious?" I ask, surprised. "Then explain it to me."

"You're not paying attention. I don't want to be your best friend."

I'm stunned. That hurt. It hurt a lot. I can feel tears in my eyes and my lip start to tremble. He looks upset again and steps towards me. Then he stops.

"I didn't mean it like that," he says. "I want to be more than your best friend."

I blink furiously. I can't cry after what he just said. I was right.

He comes over and hugs me but I pull back. He looks confused, and hurt. That is, until I smash my lips into his.