Chapter 5

"Hey, everyone. Quiet the hell down."

There's about 30 or 40 people here, but we all quiet down instantly. Kenan Frasier isn't exactly loud, but he has a voice everyone listens to. Plus, he's good looking. He looks like a Californian from a movie. He has highlighted blonde hair, tan skin, dreamy eyes, and a white smile.

"If you read the schedule, you know that we have something called 'The Closet Game' down as the first activity. It doesn't sound familiar, because my friends and I made it up. We're just that creative," he says with a smile. There's some laughter, and he goes on. "It's a cross between 7 Minutes in Heaven and Spin the Bottle. One of the lovely girls will go in the closet, and the guys will stay out here and spin a bottle." His blue eyes sweep the group.

"The guy who the bottle lands on goes in and kisses the girl, then a new girl goes in, a new spin, and a guy goes in and the process is repeated. Understand?"

We all nod. It's not a hard concept, but I'm impressed because it actually sounds kinda fun.

"We will draw names for the girls," one of Kenan's friends says.

Someone brings over a bowl with a bunch of pieces of paper in it. With a grin, Justin reaches his hand into the bowl and grabs a paper.

"Jackie Harrison," he says loudly. Jackie, a short, tan, and blonde girl laughs and gets up.

Without a word, Jackie walks across the room to the door that leads to the basement. She turns on the light and walks down the steps towards the closet at the bottom. As soon as the door closes, Kenan speaks up.

"Okay, girls," he starts. "The den, please," and he sweeps his hand towards a door on the other side of the room from the basement door.

We all get up and walk towards the door. The guys stay where they are.

In the den we all sit down and start talking, and gossiping, and laughing. I see Gwen across the room with her friends. She keeps sneaking me dirty looks. Justin walks in with the bowl and set it on a table and sits down in the closest empty chair near me.

"Who was picked?" I ask curiously. He just smiles and shakes his head.

After a couple minutes, Kenan pops his head in and says, "Pick again."

After a couple girls are picked, I start becoming more nervous. Who will I have to kiss? What will people do when I walk back up the stairs? Will I like it?

My thoughts are interrupted as Kenan pops his head in again.

"Pick," he says, scanning the room. His eyes land on me.

"Hey Callie. How's it goin'? My brother's always talking about you, you know that?"

He laughs as a voice from the other room, that sounds suspiciously like Lucas, yells, "Shut up, you liar."

Justin grabs a paper from the bowl and looks at it. His smile falters for a second, and then he reads, "Callie McKernon." I hear silence from the other room, where a second ago there was shouting and laughter.

I get up and look nervously at Michaela. I walk across the room to Kenan, who gives me a knowing smile. What's that about? It scares me.

I slip out the door and feel Kenan following me. All eyes in the room seem to follow me. I catch Caleb's gaze, though he tries to avoid it. He gives me a worried look. I glance at Lucas and get a glimpse of the same look into that was on Kenan's face when my name was picked. What is that?

He smiles, and I smile back like nothing's wrong. I grab the door handle and yank it open. I look over my shoulder before walking down the stairs and see all of the boys still staring. This is getting creepy.

I walk down the stairs and see the closet door. It seems more menacing. It seems like that door will lead me to my death. I open it and slip inside, then close it behind me. I feel a swarm of butterflies in my stomach as I wait for what seems like hours.

Finally, I hear the basement door open. I had been sitting, but now I stand up. I hear someone click the light off so I can't see who it is when they open the door. I then hear a faint squeak as the closet door is pulled open.

It seems to get colder. That's not right. Another person coming in here should make it hotter. Maybe it's just me.

Whoever it is that has been chosen by the bottle grabs my hands, like he's done it 100 times. And the hold feels familiar, though Caleb is the only guy I've held hands with. But this couldn't be him, because Caleb's hands are never sweaty like this. He never shakes.

I hear an intake of breath as whoever is in here leans forward, and hesitates. This definitely isn't Caleb. He hates hesitation. I know firsthand.

The mystery boy leans in and presses his lips to mine, and I almost sigh. He tastes like chocolate, and he's a really good kisser.

Seconds later, he pulls back, opens the door, and runs up the stairs in the dark. I just stand there shocked and surprised. I liked it.

I actually liked it.