Chapter 12

The brothers stared blankly at the black pool that was once their friend. They didn't even notice the debtors entering the room. They just stared at the pool.

Cuphead looked over his shoulder to the pile of contracts they had taken. They still had to destroy them before they could be free. He gathered the scrolls into his arms and carried them toward the hole in the floor where they had previously crawled out of. He dropped the scrolls and watched them descend into the red flames.

Moments later, multiple flashes of lights emerged from below; the souls of the debtors were returning to their bodies. One by one, the debtors began laughing, crying, singing, even dancing for joy as they were freed from the Devil's debt. They gathered around the brothers and lifted them into the air, chanting their names and shouting their gratitude to the heavens.

Eventually they realized that Bendy was one of the debtors... or he should have been. The Devil was known only to take one's soul if it were part of a deal.

The everyone stared at the puddle of ink in anticipation. Time seemed to freeze. No one dared move, as if staying still would somehow bring the devil back; yet nothing happened.

The debtors believed that there was nothing they could do. Perhaps Bendy's deal was sealed at some point in the past. They each wished well to Cuphead and Mugman, knowing they had bonded with Bendy. Soon, one by one, the debtors left. Only Cuphhead and Mugman remained at the Ink Demon's final resting place.

"I... I don't understand," mumbled Mugman, "Why isn't he coming back?"

Cuphead rested his hand in his brother's shoulder, "He's dead, Mugs. We were too late. There's nothing we could do." The elder brother turned to follow the others, "But, he did give up his life so you could keep yours. I'm not saying you should get over it in the next five seconds, I'm saying you should... I'm saying... try to live life to the fullest. And no, I'm not trying to sound wise, I'm saying it as he'd probably want it," he stopped to think for a moment, "As if I'd know what he wanted."

Mugman stayed by the pool of ink. He doubted that his friend would return, but he had a feeling. It will work, he thought to himself, It has to. I want it to. I don't care whether or not that's how it works, that's how I want it to work. So, for Inkwell Isle's sake, just work! Mugman waited one moment more. Silence. Then, Mugman thought of something. Doesn't paper float all over the place as it falls?

Cuphead decided to wait outside for his brother. Mugman would need emotional support in this time. Cuphead was beginning to think of what to say when Mugman arrived, he heard his brother from inside the casino. Because of the echoes, he couldn't tell whether Mugman was crying or screaming.

"Don't worry Mugs!" cried Cuphead, "I'm coming!"

Cuphead ran into the casino and crashed into Mugman. Both brothers fell to the floor before Mugman pointed excitedly at the Devil's office.

"The paper! The fire! He's back!"

"Who's back?" asked Cuphead, hoping that his brother wasn't talking about the Devil.

Mugman pulled Cuphead to his feet, "Bendy is back! He's alive!"

The brothers returned to the office. Just as Mugman had said, Bendy was standing up from the remaining ink. He was slipping on the ink, but he was very much alive.

Mugman ran to Bendy excitedly, accidentally knocking him over in the process.

"Uh," stuttered Bendy, still recovering from the fall, "Hi the-"

Bendy was interrupted by Cuphead, who also ran at him. And yes, Bendy fell into the ink again.

"AH-HAOW!" exclaimed Bendy, still sore from his wounds. Cuphead and Mugman would have heard him, were they not laughing while crying tears of joy. Bendy quickly remembered what had happened and began laughing with them.

Mugman helped Bendy to his feet while Cuphead repeatedly apologized for everything he'd ever done. Bendy had to repeatedly tell Cuphead that he was forgiven before Cuphead could calm himself down.

Once Cuphead had calmed himself down, he asked Mugman, "How did you revive him?"

"The contract got caught on one of the rocks going down," answered Mugman, "We just needed to drop it again."

Bendy panted, still sore from his wounds, "Couldn't take a blow, huh?" He chuckled hoarsely, "He was the literal Devil! what did you expect?"

Cuphead laughed softly as he hugged Bendy once again, "I'm so sorry, Bendy. I-I was wrong to judge you the way I did. I wasn't thinking. I-"

"Calm yourself, Cuppy, I forgive you. I kinda deserved that anyway."

"Hey, Cuphead!" called Mugman, "C'mon, we gotta tell the Elder Kettle!"

Cuphead glanced at Bendy, "Wanna come with us? The Elder Kettle might let you stay until we can find you a home."

Bendy's eyes widened with joy, "Really?"

Cuphead began running out of the office, "Last one's a leaky cup!"

Bendy hesitated, then sprinted after the brothers. The boys gathered the Isle's residents and shred the good news with them. For the rest of the day, and all of the next, there was celebration throughout the island.

Cuphead and Mugman promised to never wander into trouble again. And they didn't; at least they didn't, until the next time.

----------

Alright, it's finally finished! I apologize for the amount of time it took to write this fanfiction, and I hope you were able to enjoy the story through the long wait. Thank you to all of you for supporting this story and taking the time to read it.

Please consider sharing your thoughts in the comments so I know where improvements could be added. (You don't have to)

As always, have a nice day.