Chapter 8

Back in the forest, Bendy was sitting by a tree, crying. He didn't understand. All he wanted was to leave his home and see the world. He wanted to meet people and bond with the citizens. Now that the others had learned of his identity, they turned on him, judged him, threatened him; all because he was a devil. They didn't even give him a chance to explain.

By now, Bendy had calmed himself. He stared at the ground in front of him, pondering what to do next. He couldn't go home. He was too afraid to face his father. He couldn't go to the Elder Kettle. He was afraid that the kettle would think he was evil too.

Once again, Bendy didn't know what he wanted to do. He was lost and sad, there was nothing to look forward too. The one thing that confused Bendy was how much worse he felt. He had felt this way his whole life. This was all he'd ever known. Why was he suddenly hating it?

Bendy noticed a shadow reaching around him. He looked up and gasped, pressing his body against the tree trunk as if he could go through it. The Devil was standing in front of him.

Bendy expected his father to yell at him or strike him; but the Devil didn't do either of those things. Instead, he spoke gently. "What's happened?"

Bendy began to cry again. He stood up and ran to his father, hugging him, "I'm so sorry, Papa. I was so tired of staying in that cave... so I ran away. I thought I could trust them."

"Who?"

"Cuphead and Mugman. I saw the islands with them, I've learned so much from them... But, when they found out who I was, they turned on me. They threatened to kill me if they see me again. I'm sorry. I should never have left."

The Devil sighed, embracing his son, "I should've told you sooner. The world is like that. They pretend to be there for you but abandon you when they see one thing they don't like. You can't trust anyone but your family here. That's why I kept you hidden all these years. But don't worry, Bendy. I'll make them pay for this. Once they return with the contracts, they'll wish they'd never hurt you."

"What are you gonna do?" asked Bendy.

The Devil stood up, "I'm going to make them do whatever you want. They could be your slaves."

Bendy looked up at his father, "But... you promised to pardon them if they brought the contracts."

The Devil smiled nervously, "We both know I can't do that. It would be bad for business. If they didn't want to do this, they would have stay away from us."

Bendy pushed himself away, "No! Don't do that!"

"Why not?"

"They don't deserve it. Yes they hurt my feelings but that doesn't give us the right to be so cruel to them!"

"But it'll be like they never did hurt you. You won't even remember it" the Devil insisted, "Pleast, Bendy, listen to me. I just want the best for you. I care for you."

"No, that's not it," said Bendy, "You never cared about me, or Dice, or any of the other employees. You only cared about yourself and those souls."

The Devil rolled his eyes, "Bendy, you have to understand. This is business. This is what I do for a living. You'll understand when you're older, when you inherit my place."

"No!" Bendy shouted, "I won't. I don't want to do that. Even if I did take your place, I'd rather die than be anything like you! I wish you were never my father!" Bendy turned and ran away.

The Devil stood in shock for a moment. When he recollected himself, he shook his head. "One would think he would show more respect to the person that created him."