Chapter 3

Cuphead and Mugman burst through the door to their house. Both collapsed on the floor to catch their breath. They had run back the whole way. Neither of them stopped.

The Elder Kettle strolled to the porch from the kitchen, shocked that the boys had returned in such a panicked manner.

"Boys? What's happened?"

"We're sorry, Elder Kettle," Mugman panted, "We should've listened to you!"

The Elder Kettle tilted his head, "Have you gone into the Devil's Casino?"

Mugman hung his head, ashamed of his actions.

Cuphead stood up, "It was all my idea. Mugman had nothing to do with it. I dragged him along."

The kettle sighed, "Did you participate in any activities there?"

"Yes. I lost all our money; and to make things worse, I lost a bet with the Devil. By midnight tomorrow, I have to gather the contracts of the other debtors or he's gonna take our souls!"

__________

Bendy leaned an old ladder against the wall, next to the front door. He peered through the window and listened to the mugs as they spoke to the kettle.

The kettle sighed patiently, "This is quite a pickle you've gotten yourselves into."

Mugman stood up, "What should we do, Elder Kettle?"

"Well, I don't see any other option but to go along with the Devil's demands. If you refuse, I can't bear to imagine your fates."

Cuphead shrugged, "How are we gonna get those contracts? There's a high chance they'll put up a good fight, and we're just cups!"

"Hmm," the Elder Kettle, "You remembered to bring back the milk, right?"

Mugman sighed with relief, remembering that he had held the milk bottle throughout this endeavour. He gave the bottle to the Elder Kettle, who walked to the kitchen.

Bendy waited as he heard the kettle mixing unknown ingredients together in a cauldron. Minutes later he heard more conversation between kettle and the two mugs.

"Now you'll be able get those contracts," the Elder Kettle cheered.

"Golly!" exclaimed Cuphead, "I can't wait to try it!"

"Now," said the kettle, "you boys better get used to those abilities before you go trying to fight those debtors. Now off you go. Shake a leg!"

Bendy heard Cuphead and Mugman running to the door. Before he could move, the door opened, knocking him down in front of the brothers.

Instinctively, Cuphead pointed his finger at the stranger.

"No! Wait! Don't shoot!" Bendy pleaded as he scrambled to his feet. "I'm not gonna hurt you! I swear!"

Mugman peered over Cuphead's shoulder, "Wh-who are you?"

Bendy stood up and brushed off his shoulders, "My name's Bendy.

Cuphead kept his finger pointed at Bendy, "What are you doing here?"

Bendy stepped back, "I saw what happened in the casino. I followed you back here because-"

"We know you followed us," interrupted Cuphead, "It couldn't be more obvious."

"Well if you'd let me finish," said Bendy, "I want to help."

The Elder Kettle stepped outside and observe the visitor. "Cuphead, I suggest you let your new friend help out. I have a feeling he's familiar with these predicaments."

Cuphead sighed and stared at Bendy begrudgingly, "Alright, he can help."

The Elder Kettle gave Bendy a pat on the head, "It's nice to meet you, Bendy. I'm sure you'll like it here in Inkwell Isle."

The kettle turned and strolled back into the house, closing the door behind him.

Cuphead pressed his finger against Bendy's chest, "No funny business, Blender. Try anything and you'll be the first target I use."

Bendy fornwed, "It's 'Bendy', and I promise I won't do anything."

Mugman stepped between the two, "Jeez, Cuphead, try to be more polite. We just met him," he reached out to Bendy, "My name's Mugman; and... as you've already heard, this is my brother, Cuphead."

Bendy stared at Mugman's hand in confusion.

"Oh," said Mugman, "You shake it."

"Why?"

"It's what people do when they meet each other."

Bendy shrugged and shook hands with Mugman.

"So..." said Cuphead, leading his companions to the bridge, "you're not one of the Devil's debtors, are you Bendy?"

Bendy shook his head, "My papa says I'm too young to do any of that stuff. What exactly are those 'souls' that those debtors owe this Devil guy?"

Mugman glanced at Bendy, "You don't know what a soul is?"

Bendy shook his head.

"Well," said Cuphead, "a soul is basically what gives you life. Without a soul, you're just a body."

"It doesn't just keep you alive," added Mugman, "it also lets you feel many things. With your soul, you can feel warm, excited, happy, it lets you laugh, it lets you react to many things in a positive way... It's basically the positive side of life."

Bendy stopped, "What's 'warm'?"

Both brothers stopped and stared at Bendy.

"'Warm' is the opposite of 'cold'," explained Mugman, "Haven't you ever felt warm? Don't you feel warm now?"

Bendy shook his head, "I wouldn't know what those things feel like. I don't have a soul."

Cuphead froze. "Why not?"

Bendy shrugged, "I wasn't born with one. I'm made of ink."

The brothers exchanged glances.

"Hey," said Bendy, "it's okay. If I never had a soul, how could I miss it? I'll be fine. Now, let's go get those contracts."

"Wait here!" said Mugman, "Cuphead and I forgot something."

Mugman pulled Cuphead behind him as he ran back into the forest.

"You're thinking the same thing I am," said Mugman, "Right?"

Cuphead sighed, "I think Bendy's telling the truth."

Mugman nodded, "I think the Devil stole Bendy's soul." Mugman pointed in Bendy's direction, "We have to help him get it back?"

"Why?" asked Cuphead, "He said he wasn't born with one."

"Look, Cuppy, I know you don't trust him; but that doesn't mean we can't help him. If that fiend took Bendy's soul without him knowing, we have to make him pay." Mugman rested his hand on his brother's shoulder, "At least let me try to find his contract. If you don't want to, I'll do it myself. But we can't just ignore this."

Cuphead sighed, "Okay."

"Hey!" Bendy called from the bridge, "You guys comin'? Those contracts ain't just gonna walk to ya!"