He snorted before lighting the cancer stick. "Well, you're not doing a real good job of that."

"Besides..." He puffed out air, swiping at his forehead with his free hand. "You really shouldn't be here, anyway. Kade knew better than to bring you anywhere around our shit. Especially here."

Well.

I sat quietly, thinking of what to say. I had only seen Luke a few times, though I knew he was a bit of an arrogant asshole. Never had I been with him for this long.

I placed a hand over my nose at the distasteful smell of smoke. The toxin was beginning to stink up the car, but that didn't seem to bother Luke.

He tilted the box of cigarettes my way, nodding toward it. I immediately shook my head before turning back toward the window.

"Ah," he mused. "Seems my good girl theory is proven."

I rolled my eyes before turning my head back to Luke. "What do you guys do?" I took advantage of his will to talk, though I knew not to push it too far.

Two fingers directed the cigarette away from his face. I didn't know if this was his idea of being a gentleman but he blew the smoke in another direction so that it would barely hit me before he shifted so that his back was against the foot.  "Something you really don't wanna know shit about, princess."

"Kade races cars," I blurted out. "I know that."

Luke took my outburst with a taken aback expression, tilting his head at me. Then, he erupted into fits of laughter.

I stared at him, confused. "What is it?"

"Kade told you he just races cars," he said slowly, as if trying to understand himself.

His head fell back against the seat as his laughter thundered through the car, only seeing an end when Kade appeared to the eye.

I watched as he walked out of the building, his demeanor tense, something distant his eyes. Something that he didn't look ready to share with ms anytime soon.

I should have went home.

Without raising his head, he walked to the car. Luke's laugh was long gone at the look of his friend's closed expression, instead replaced with what looked like his own version of concern.

Luke stepped out of the car, coming face to face with Kade. Neither of them spared me a second glance as they began to speak. All I managed to catch was the ending.

Kade threw a head flick my way. "Take her home for me."

Luke, whose expression reeked with agitation, said something else to Kade, sighing. They did some man handshake before Luke got back into the car.

I expected Kade to look at me, to speak to me, to do something. But, instead he did the exact opposite.

He turned from me, his rejection not bothering him like it did me. I grew angry, I grew sad, but most of all, I grew hurt.

"Don't do it," Luke voiced.

Fuck him. I reached for the handle of my door, ready to interrogate Kade in a way that he couldn't avoid.