Chapter 51 - Understanding Unspoken

Start from the beginning

The scene was terribly painful. People came and went, paying their respects. While Vishal sat there devoid any emotion with Tanjua beside him. 

"Vishal.." Shivaay spoke looking at Anika quickly. As though to make sure she was with him at this. 

"Sir.." Vishal got up.

"No...don't.." Shivaay looked at Anika.

She was in a dilemma. He was asking her to speak. He was awkward. She could say. But the slight doubt tormented her. Was he really okay?

"We are sorry for your loss." He brushed his hand against hers hinting her to do the talking.

She nodded. "Vishal. She won't like your hanging face. She'd say, that her grandson is possessed by her favorite Devdas. " Anika simply stayed by Shivaay and slipped her hand into Vishal's. 

A silent tear rolled down Vishal's cheek. He gulped hard. Tanuja looked on sadly. 

"Hey don't. She is happy trust me. She'd want you to be happy too. Everyone has a chapter in this world. And the next in unknown. Come on now, smile and be happy like she wanted you to be when she was gone."

He looked up at her. "Thank you!"

Shivaay's eyes teared up. He couldn't believe he had thought so many extreme thoughts. He looked away blinking away his tears. He stepped slightly aside so that his wife and her friend had their privacy. While he stood aside he felt her hand hold his. He raised his gaze, she was talking to him but her hand was in his. His heart was flattered, it was a very petty thing – his insecurity, still she cared to address it. 

* * *

The Saturday went about boring after they returned. Silence filled the following hours. Both of them were lost in their own world. While Shivaay was battling between his insecurity and guilt. He felt he needed to be a more mature. sensible and understanding husband. Anika was lost in her own anxiousness. 

She saw Shivaay silently working. She could say he was lost. She gave up. Maybe he needed time. 

Shivaay saw Anika all lost as she came in and went out of the room. He wondered what was bothering her. Maybe he was thinking too much. Perhaps it was just the household work. His parents were arriving tonight maybe that just got her worked up. To make sure everything was in place. 

It was in the evening, while bringing his coffee to the study it happened. She was little absentminded and the steaming liquid fell on her hand. 

"Anika. " he sprang into action. He held her hand talking her to the washroom. He put her hand in running cold water." Where are you lost?" He asked looking up at her, concerned about her hand. Turning the tap off the tap he took some toothpaste and applied it on her hand. "Is it okay?" He asked blowing over it. She nodded.