Chapter 5 - Bewildering Changes

Anika hugged her dad as they exchanged goodbyes. She couldn't help but feel a tug at her heart. She missed them more because she knew they missed her. She was their only child. But they looked after her cousin, her aunt's son. Her single aunt had been destroyed by alcoholism and her dad took the responsibility of his sister's son. At least that way they had someone. She felt her dad's fingers at the edge of her eyes. He was wiping her tears threatening to fall off. He then quickly took her into a hug whispering into her ears. "No tears, Anika. Remember what I said during Bidaai. You are merely living with an extended family, we are still the same parents and you are our daughter just like you always were. So, no room for tears. " he kissed her forehead. Anika smiled. She was emotionally tired today. 

Soon the father-daughter duo were interrupted by others, as they all came out of the posh apartment. 

Once they were at the lift the Oberois bid them goodbye. Pinky wrapped her arm around Shivaay's waist. "I missed you, Beta!" She kissed his cheek. He smiled like a ten-year-old boy. "I missed you too!"

"And we remain forgotten!" Shakti said, wrapping his arm around Anika's shoulder. 

Shivaay beamed and looked at the two. This was family. This was home. He wouldn't leave them for a billion dollars again.

Anika simply stared at his back as he spoke to Pinky. Once they were inside Shivaay made sure he dragged his mother to her room. "Mom, I am here now. So we can talk every day. Now you need to rest."

"But.."

"No buts!" Shivaay said and Anika simply looked on admiring.

Shakti quickly wished Anika goodnight and followed his son and wife. While Anika started picking up the empty used bowls from the table. Her disputed thoughts made it to the surface again. She entered her room, pushing the door slowly. 

That was close! 

He was just about to pull the door to leave.

"Hey!" He said surprised. Surprised that she hadn't entered like a storm and smacked his face. He distinctly remembered how once when she had entered excitedly, she had almost broken his bone in the nose. He smiled at the memory. 

"Oh, I am.." She said relieved that she had opened the door slowly.

"My nose won this time!" He chuckled. 

She smiled again, lightly. 

He stared at her. What had happened to her? She wasn't giggling like a teenager. Down, she wasn't talking much. Did his surprise literally render her so speechless and dumbstruck?

"I was just going to see where you were!"

Her heart had probably forgotten how to beat ever since it gauged his presence.

"Just wrapping up things." She replied slowly.