Chapter 100: Giving Away the Past

Начните с самого начала

He reached out and touched the image. He picked it up and studied it. Nothing but a slight burn of anger festered in him anymore. He still owed them more than he'd ever realistically be able to pay, but it didn't guide his entire life anymore. He would do his best to protect Potter, he would die to do it, but he had other people to care for now too. Occasionally, he'd get a few touches of guilt, but they were becoming less and less the more he lived.

And it was all because of another, a better and kinder hearted, Gryffindor witch.

Because of her, he could accept that he wasn't fully evil. That he didn't deserve death and a suffering filled life. Because of that witch, he could say that he owned a debt to them. Not just Lily, but the elder Potter as well. He studied the picture a bit longer, his eyes narrowing at Potter. "Arrogant bastard, I guess I'm doing this for you too."

"Severus, you came," her sleepy voice sounded at his back.

His chest felt light upon hearing her voice, to know that in this moment she was safe. He almost grinned at how she looked. Her eyes were sleepy, her hair was even messier than it usually was, and she had a small smile on her face. Her posture went rigid as she glanced at the photo in his hands.

She crossed the room and sat at the edge of the bed, next to the book that contained the image.

He sat down next to her and both watched as his patronus disappeared. He rested the photo on his lap.

"It's probably the last time I can see you," he said.

"Should I give you a photo too?" she asked. She wasn't angry, but he could hear a trace of hurt in her tone. The photo he held was hurting her, but surely, she knew that she held a huge part of his life now as well. It was she that he'd come to help. She was his current focus.

"I'm glad you're all right," he said, deciding not to address her previous sentence.

"I got your message. I was surprised because I didn't think you would do something that risky," she whispered. He could feel her eyes on him, but refused to meet her gaze. He wouldn't argue. It had been careless, and it was his irrational feelings for her, feelings she forged in him, that made him do it. That also made him risk coming here.

"This will be the last time I will be able to aid you and Potter so directly. We need to discuss a way we can pass information to each other." Lifting his eyes from the image, he saw her nodding.

"I assume you have an idea already?" she asked, a hint of a smile coming to the corner of her lips.

"Yes, and I got you something." He reached into his pocket and handed her a miniature trunk.

He grabbed her hand and placed the object on her palm. "There are potions inside that can help you. There are some food and blankets in there as well. It's not much, but it's the best I could do considering my chained hands."

She reached up, covered his hand, and squeezed it. He met her gaze. "You've done so much for me, that I could never repay you. You saved my parents. They would be dead by now if not for you. This will be so much more helpful than what anyone in the order has done."

"You were able to put your parents in a safe place?"

"Yes, but..." She bit her lip, looked down, and he felt her hands tremble in his. He removed his hand and placed it on her shoulder, causing her to look up at him.

"What happened?" he asked.

She took a deep breath and he saw the beginnings of tears in her eyes. "I had to erase their memories," she said. "They refused to go otherwise."