Chapter 2

Just because Ben still didn't have me TOTALLY convinced that true love existed and that people could have REAL relationships and not just ridiculous delusions about people that didn't mean that I wasn't skeptical. I wasn't ready to open my heart to someone who I'd spoken two words to. After everything that I've been through. I knew better than to trust.

"Hey, Lexi!" I heard a familiar voice call from behind me as I walked to my bike with Megan. "Wait up!"

I told Megan to head to the bike, but there was no way she was going to go without giving both me and him a significant "look."

"Hey, Lexi," he said.

"Hey, Ben. What did you need?" At that moment all I could do was pray to God that I didn't smell like I'd just come from football practice and look as if I'd just spent the entire day being dragged through a football field. He looked so sensitive and dreamy.

"I was wondering what you did for the football team. Are you like the manager or something?"

And the dream was over. "Excuse me?"

"Well, the guys on the team told me to either come to you or the coach if I wanted to be on the team and I just figured that you were the manager," he said. Why couldn't he have just kept his mouth shut?

"Actually, I'm the captain," I said smugly.

"Well," he said, still not getting it, "don't you gave to be on the team to be the captain?"

"Wow, you catch on fast. I'm the quarterback," I couldn't believe that he was acting like this!

"No way, I'm serious," the more he spoke the more I wanted to body slam him. Right then and there.

"So am I!" Then I said, "Look, if you want to be on the team, then I suggest you stop insulting the captain." Then I turned on my heel and walked away.

"Can you believe that he said that?" I asked Megan after I'd told her the story in my upstairs bedroom over some Oreos.

"You're gonna hate me for saying this, but yeah, I can."

I gave her a look.

"Hear me out. He's new. He's a guy. We both know that guys are insensitive and think that they rule the universe. Maybe it's time that you accept behavior like this and just move on when people bring it up. I mean, once you show them up on the field they ALWAYS shut up, don't they?"

"Maybe you're right," And for the first time in my life, I realized, yelling about something doesn't fix it. It doesn't even make you feel better. So maybe it was time for something that would take care of BOTH of those problems.

***

End of chapter two

Please comment if you're enjoying this so far. Thank you!